PDA

View Full Version : exporting mpeg2 with fcp3

BC_luv
01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey everybody hows it going,

Just starting to learn dvd studio pro 1.5 and im using a 3rd party book and the instructions for dvdsp say that i need to use the export QT feature in fcp and use the mpeg2 format, but the only mpeg format i have in fcp is mpeg4...?

Do i need QT pro to unlock the mpeg2 feature in fcp3?

Any input is highly appreciated.
THank you

kaye
01-27-2004, 05:25 PM
I don't have FCP but don't you have to setup and use its Compressor http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor.html

Take a look at some of the presets in the top right corner of that page.

I see the requirement for QT 6.1 but not the Pro version. k

BC_luv
01-28-2004, 08:06 PM
thats for FCP4.
Nevermind

kaye
01-29-2004, 09:35 AM
True, but I thought FCP3 also has Compressor. k

BC_luv
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
correct me if im wrong but im to believe this is a new feature of fcp4. Thanks anyways

BC_luv
01-29-2004, 11:27 PM
I own several fcp3 books including a dvdstudio pro book, and none of them mention compressor.
Maybe im crazy :lol:

k thanx

kaye
01-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Herb,

You are absolutely correct about no Compressor in FCP3. Sorry, my bad.

This morning I found a DVD Apple had sent to me awhile back and it had a demo of how to export to MPEG2 and other formats but it runs so fast I could not exactly tell the sequence from the Menu Bar. So I went to the Apple Discussions and found some info. This is what was mentioned on various threads (the jargon and method are not exactly the same on all):

From FCP3, Export QuickTime video and choose MPEG2 as your format.

File - Export - Quicktime Movie... "FCP EXPORT" you had in FCP3...

Yeah - I agree with Tom, Alison. If you have FCP4 go to File - Export - Quicktime Movie. If you have FCP3 it is called FCP Movie instead of QT Movie.

In FCP 3 you will see instead Final Cut Movie.

These don't all agree exactly but experimenting in the Menu Bar should get you to exporting to MPEG2. Let me know what you find. k

despaxas
03-05-2004, 01:28 PM
When you install DVD Studio Pro 1.5 or 2.0, a file named MPEG2 is placed in Library -> Quicktime folder and will then be accessible to FCP or anything else. (DVD Studio Pro 2 [and FCP4 I believe] will also install an MPEG2 playback component.) IMO, compressor still needs some work, but exporting MPEG2 directly from FCP works every time. Also the MPEG2 codec with DSP2 is vastly better looking than the previous version.