PDA

View Full Version : Best hard drive configuration for video capture

aluchini
02-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Hello!

I use a G4-dual 1.42 for personal digital video work. It has a 120 GB internal hard drive and a 60 GB external firewire drive. I use the external drive to capture video and store it until I can begin my editing work. I also store my iPhoto library on it. Therefore, for editing in the future I would like to add an internal drive that I can reformat before each project. I have 3 questions about this:
1. What brand and type of drive should I get to do this? (ATA? SATA?)
2. How difficult is it to add an internal drive and is there anything specific I should be careful of?
3. Is there a web page I can go to that will walk me through the details of adding a drive?

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Alice

rwm
02-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Alice

Welcome to the best Mac forum on the web. http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'll answer what I can - but there are other members here with "hands on" experience that can/will help you and in more detail.

>1. What brand and type of drive should I get to do this? (ATA? SATA?)

I think you should look at the ATA drives with an 8MB cache. You can then utlize your other bus in your current computer. Having 2 internal drives both set as "Master". SATA is a tad faster but then you would need a host card for it 70 bucks.

>2. How difficult is it to add an internal drive and is there anything specific I should be careful of?
>3. Is there a web page I can go to that will walk me through the details of adding a drive?

Easy, most anyone here on the forum will help walk you through it.

Look here at Guru's (http://www.macgurus.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi?&pg=cat&catstr=HOME:harddrives&ref=parallelatadrives) ATA drives.

Randy

TZ
02-16-2004, 01:47 AM
You might also want to look at add'l firewire drives. FW800 offers 20-40% overall improvement over FW400. You want to avoid some FW drive cases even now probably (Oxford, LaCie; all Granite Digital FW cases are safe) as another option for backup and to separate projects and storage.

The more drives and options the better. Less risk of losing important data, too.

You do want to monitor the internal temperature of your G4.

aluchini
02-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Thank you so much for your quick responses to my query. I think I'll add an internal drive (I have the room so why not go for it!) plus get another external drive.

Will adding the second internal drive increase the internal temp significantly? How do I monitor this and what should I watch for?

Also, has anyone had any problems with Panther wiping clean their external hard drives? I've heard this is a problem so I've waited to upgrade.

Again, thank you all very much.
Alice

TZ
02-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Temperature Monitor and ThermographX both report temperature and handy to use each. Dual 1.4's generate as much heat as those boxes can handle. It is when you are running intensive applications for a period of time.

ATA hard drives play only a small part. So I wouldn't be concerned with that. Even four drives and two optical drives should be do-able.

Granite Digital FireWire cases (both 400 and 800) are safe and fine. Yes, 10.3.0 was/is a problem, and firmware updates are still being issued by LaCie for some of their products. I would have hoped Apple would do a RECALL of their 10.3.0 CDs and offer 10.3.2 CDs at this point, rather than say "it's a 3rd party issue."

TZ
02-18-2004, 09:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Atlas?Ѣ 10K IV drive is the industry?s fastest 10K SCSI drive, with a seek time of 4.3ms and maximum sustained data transfer rate up to 72MB/sec. Thanks to its speed advantage, the Atlas 10K IV drive provides up to a 30% increase in sustained data transfer rates and delivers 9% faster seek times over the previous 10K SCSI generation.

With capacities of 36.7GB, 73.4GB and 147.1GB, these drives are ideal for the most demanding high-bandwidth and high-capacity enterprise server applications. The Ultra320 interface includes features such as packetization and quick arbitrate and select, which greatly increase data throughput. The Maxtor-developed Ultra320 interface includes MaxAdapt?Ѣ (adaptive active filtration), a closed-loop method of improving signal quality. MaxAdapt allows the drive to adapt to changing system conditions and components, which translates into lower error rates, easier integration, and increased bus efficiency for optimal system performance.

Like other Maxtor drives, the Atlas 10K IV drives provide superior shock durability with the Maxtor Shock Protection System, which guards against the effects of mistreatment during handling and integration. The result for systems integrators is fewer returns, lower total cost of ownership, and more satisfied customers. Other valuable features include active LVD bus hot pluggable design, intelligent bus management, and automatic SCSI mode configuration. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Data Sheet (PDF) (http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/data_sheets/atlas_10kiv_data_sheet.pdf)
Anatomy of a SCSI Drive (PDF) (http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/posters/scsi_anatomy_poster.pdf)
SCSI Compatability Overview (PDF) (http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/compatability_documents/scsi_compatability_overview.pdf)
Atlas 10K IV (http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/scsi/atlas_10k_family/atlas_10k_iv/index.htm)
Maxtor White paper on Video Editing: Video Storage (http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/scsi_video_storage.pdf)

Damien
02-18-2004, 10:25 AM
If you are willing to spend the money on scsi I highly recommend it. Scsi sets a higher quality standard and the drives (in the right config) are MUCH faster.

It should come as no surprise to any of the regulars here that I recommend Seagate drives and ATTO scsi cards. Granite cables and terminators too. Expect to pay through the nose for a rig like this though.

As a much less expensive alternative SATA and ATA are very workable. Especially if this is a hobby that does not pay for itself over time. Again I say Seagate but would like to also suggest Western Digital

I had a dual 1.0 MDD Mac and had 3 high speed scsi drives in it. One of them a Generation 1 or 2 Cheetah which is a drive known to produce heat like the Sun. The other 2 drives were Gen 3's which run cooler. The MDD didn't seem to have any trouble cooling all that off so I don't think you need to be overly concerned about heat.

Damien,

Damien's Stuff (http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/)

TZ
02-18-2004, 11:18 AM
With people reporting temps above 55 C. and that is what most SCSI drives are qualified and tested as max operating temp... I think heat is an issue. Putting SCSI inside may not be safe or wise.

As for WD... see the other thread. I've seen too much voodoo with them in Beige, now we learn that 250GB drives are trouble. I don't think any vendor or drive is going to be perfect in every situation. WD's and Granite along with SoftRAID 3.x don't get along on G5.

There is never going to be one model, one solution, for everything. The idea that Seagate Barracuda ATA, SATA, Cheetah 10K and 15K are best of breed? We've been through this before.

I think most people who use their computer for work - the people who were eager to adopt dual G5s, and who do video editing, might not have the time to research and know all the ins and outs of storage technology. I buy drives from Maxtor, Hitachi and Seagate when it comes to SCSI. I still find things in Atlas drives that are three years old to impress with their higher sustained reads of any drive, sort of like how the WD Raptor 73GB shines in sustained writes.

Right now, you can pick up 36GB Atlas 10K IVs for $135. They were $139 yesterday when I ordered some ;-( At 72MB/sec and sustained writes of 65MB/sec when 50-60% full not just 'bare scratch tests' I find them to be a good work horse.

If someone already has SCSI equipment, then just upgrading to Ultra320 might make sense. You've made the investment and $310 for 73GB drives (as we said before in another thread, only $50-60 more than the Raptor). I saw on G5 forum where someone was having trouble with 4 x 73GB Cheetahs on UL3D with drives dropping off. But all drives, in OS X 10.3, seem to suffer from large file segments, and trouble using 64k, 128K or 256K blocks. Even not mounting seems to be an issue for everyone at some time or other.

Capturing is one thing. What you do with it then can be quite another. I'm just trying to provide ideas.