PDA

View Full Version : iDVD as a archive media?

bif
10-31-2003, 09:26 AM
Once I get my home movies onto the hard drive, via a digital camcorder, and burn them with iDVD, can I transfer them back from the homemade DVD movie onto the computer again?
I am wondering about using the iDVD as a backup storage media for the large quantity of HI8 videos I have, rather than having the memories stored on the tapes. Is there a better option than storing these movies on video tape or even DVD media (if that is even possible)?

despaxas
11-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Yes, you can rip the audio and video back off of a DVD, but after you re-edit something and compress it back to a new DVD, your video will have taken a beating, so to speak. If you shot it on a Digital Hi8 camcorder, then edit all you like on the mac, and play it back out to the camera when you're done. You can re-edit as many times as you want, with no loss of quality. Make a DVD for people to watch if you want, but keep the edited footage on the Digital 8mm tapes to be re-edited later. They should both last about 8-9 years. Just my opinion http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bif
11-08-2003, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have just finished my second home movie DVD, and I'm gradually getting the hang of it. I am wondering if buying one of the third party guides to using iMovie and iDVD would be a good idea, the Apple Help files arre pretty lite on instruction.
Anyway, I couldn't reintroduce any footage from the burned DVD so, I guess the issue of quality loss is a moot point. I will have to keep everything backed up to digital 'HI8' tape to allow for future editing. This will also give me a redundancy for those precious memories.