PDA

View Full Version : iDVD3 or Toast6 on a Beige G3 upgarded w/ PowerLogix G4 ZIF ?

Wyzard21
10-19-2003, 01:19 PM
My Beige G3 Tower has been "upgraded" with a PowerLogix G4 processor (533 Mhz). I've purchased a Pioneer DVR-A05 that I am putting into an available bay... and am considering the purchase of iLife for the iDVD3 software. ( I am currently running OS 9.2.2 and Taost 5 for burning CD-R, but I would like upgrade the OS to Jaguar prior to trying to encode a DVD) ... does anyone know (or have a strong sense of certainly or uncertainty) if I'm better off with the iDVD solution or will it be a safer bet to purchase Toast 6 for the final "burn" to disc? ... and, will I have an extremely difficult time upgrading to OS X (10.2)? I have a brand new Seagate 120GB HD that I plan to load up fresh with OS X Jaguar, and leave the OS 9.2.2 on a seperate disk as an alternative boot drive. Also, I have read that iDVD may not work with anything but an Apple superdrive....but have also heard that Apple's OEM "superdrive" is manufactured by Pioneer.....
Any help/ info/ suggestions/ (even constructive criticism) that can be provided would be appreciated.

wyzard21

TZ
10-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Depending on the controller that your 120GB Seagate is attached to, you probably need to create OS X partition on first 8GB. Installing Jaguar is sometimes easy, sometimes not. Seriously. but it isn't as easy as on a B&W or any of the NewWorld systems, that's for sure.

If you plan to attach the A05 to controller, then Sonnet, I think, or native IDE (ATA/16 should be adequate).

www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) has info on what works and hacks to add support if there is none. I would bet on Panther making all of this easier, even though the Beige was dropped as being supported by 10.3 installer.

OWC should give us a cut, for all the questions and support that ends up over here ;-)

Wyzard21
10-19-2003, 02:02 PM
TZ:

Seagate 120 will be the Master HD on my Beige -- with the G4 ZIF upgrade do I still need to worry about an 8 GB partition for OS X? ... and do you think that I'd be best to wait for Panther to install the OS ? ... any opinions on the DVD burner and software options ? .... this Beige has A/V onboard, with RCA audio and video inputs -- I'm planning on uploading "old" analog video from VHS & VHS-C tapes -- editing in iMovie, then burning DVD with either iDVD ot Toast 6 .....
anyone out there with ideas or opinions on if this scenario will work smoothly ( I know the 535Mhz speed isn't the lightning speed of a G5 )
thanks in advance for any advice and ibfo

wyzard21

TZ
10-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Keep your eye on XPF 3.0 from Ryan to see how Panther install and support on Beige go. At some point, if the G4/533 isn't enough umph, you can get a good price, move up to the G4/1000 which is a 7455b, so it should provide some real improvements.

No, I wouldn't wait on Panther if you have Jaguar, just to see how it goes. Making sure (I assume with G4/533 that your RAM is ideal) that you have PC100 10 ns or better yet, 8 ns - Crucial seems to be the most reliable choice. Panther does support more DVD drives, so you might not need Toast. Check www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) for hacks and burning support.

Yes, you still need to worry about "8GB" if you use IDE bus. Even the SeriTek/1S2 is "ATA." Only if the PCI controller is seen as a SCSI host by the OS are you out of that. Doesn't apply to OS 9 though.

I have read that the G4/1000 eliminates stalls, menu hangs, burning DVD goes better, and Jaguar. Anything that uses AltiVec is helped and Jaguar OS has some. I assume Panther is even more optimized for G4.

Wyzard21
10-31-2003, 05:22 PM
TZ:
Thanks for your info -- I've formatted the 120GB Seagate into two partitions, one 8GB for OSX and the remaining 100+ GB for 9.2.2 .... both partitions currently have 9.2.2 loaded. XPF 2.2 and 3.0 won't load OS X.1 onto the 8GB partition.
I've got a PowerLogix G4 ZIF @ 533 Mhz CPU upgrade on board ... I know Apple supports OS X.1 on a standard beige G3 @ 300 Mhz ... but I don't really want to go back over the "speed bump" ... any ideas other than swapping out the G4 ZIF back to the OEM ZIF. I've posted on OWC's G4 threads, but haven't gotten too much useful info ...
wyzard21