PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a Pioneer A06 with a quicksilver G4?

ludlow19
07-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi. I'm running OS X.2.6 on a Quicksilver 733 (CDR/RW) and I am going to buy a DVDR/RW so I can burn DVDs. In looking around I figured that Pioneer would probably be the best brand because it's the same as the Superdrive. Their newest drive is the A06 and it handles DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW. It makes sense to spend a bit more for the extra combatibility, but I haven't been able to find any info one way or the other if it will work with my set up. Does anyone have any experience with this or do you know where I could find some iformation on this? Thanks!

kaye
07-14-2003, 05:01 AM
I went here http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso and selected just DVD+R/RW+DVD-R/RW and IDE in order to see all reports. 18 reports with mixed results. Two Pioneer results, DVR-106D, the retail version, not very encouraging so far. k

kaye
07-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Update, http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ this morning sez this:

OS 10.2.6/iTunes Burn Support File for Pioneer DVR-A06/106 - Sean Rose sent a Modified Pioneer device-plugin for OS X 10.2.6/iTunes 4 burn support with the new DVR-A06/106 drive. (FYI - DVD+R/+RW burning currently requires Toast 5.x as to date (as of 10.2.6) Apple's iApps don't support DVD+R/+RW burning as far as I know. Personally for a Mac, I'd not pay $100 more for the A06/106 over the 105/A05 model just for DVD+R/+RW capability in the drive)
Note: As always, the modified file replaces the original file of the same name (long path to the device-plugin file in OS X - search to find it. Use the terminal as root to replace existing file in OS X (for Jag enable root user in Netinfo manager - see this Apple kbase doc on how. Best to not leave root user enabled however) - or reboot to OS 9 to overwrite the existing file). These files are provided "as-is", and may not work flawlessly with all systems/configurations. I'll add this to the FAQ's CDROM/CDR section for future reference.

k

rwm
07-14-2003, 08:44 AM
I looked last night but could not find it on Apples site or Pioneer's as a compatible drive but nor could I find it as incompatible drive either. There were other Pioneer drives listed as compatible with the Mac and iTunes if that is where your going.

As Kaye sez... Toast

ludlow19
07-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm still undecided about picking up the A06, but if I do I will post my success/failure to get it running. It seems kind of pointless to purchase a drive that is not going to live up to its full potential (DVD+)and may not work at all. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.