PDA

View Full Version : VHS into computer

everc1
05-12-2003, 03:32 PM
What is the best way to do this? Most video info going into computers these days is digital. I assume a special piece of hardware is necessary to do this. Is there any way to easily display something from a VHS tape onto a computer

bif
05-12-2003, 06:16 PM
lots of ways to do it.
depends on the hardware and yes, it needs a piece of hardware, or a video camera or PCI card or something.
for example, i have an old powermac 7500 A/V that has RCA audio and video inputs built-in. i use a digital camcorder to convert old home movies on VHS tape into digital format and edit them in iMovie on my G4.
i used to have a Formac PCI card that could tune TV signals from a cable input and display on the monitor, i think you could record them as well, but i didn't try it.
perhaps if you could elaborate as to what you are trying to do and what equipment you have?

wboykin
06-11-2003, 10:12 AM
I have a beige G3 which came with rca video imput jacks. On OS 8.6 I used Apple Video Player to record the analog video straight in compressed and digitized. My computer was upgraded to OS X and of course has classic 9.2. Neither of these will open Apple Video Player. I no longer have access to OS 8.6.

It is not a missing extension. I have checked that. Is there another freeware or shareware product with which I can import analog video directly into my G3, or is there a way to get Apple Video Player to work?

Thank you.
WB

kaye
06-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Here is what I found for another Member a few days ago. He was working with analog AV:

I did some investigation and found a couple of things. Don't know whether true or not however.

"you can import any movie QuickTime recognizes (can play back via QT Player) into iMovie but, oddly enough, NOT through the "import" command. You have to drag the movie directly to iMovie from the Finder. iMovie will then spend some time converting it to DV for you (make sure you have HD space for this)." This tells me that if you get the raw entirely unedited digital video footage onto a hard drive and see if QT recognizes it (but may require QT Pro to recognize), then just drag from the Finder onto the iMovie icon and see if it launches.

Another possibility is to look here http://www.danslagle.com/mac/imovie/iMovieFAQ.html and see if there is info.

I think thru Toast you can burn a VCD (Video CD), albeit you might have to burn several due to the size limitation of CDs.

Perhaps QT or QT Pro may be your inexpensive solution. k