PDA

View Full Version : Backup and compression

Badgett
10-22-2002, 01:50 PM
I work with many many video files, and am unsure about backup. People keep telling me to break down my files and DVD them. My problem is that my movies projects are between 80-120GB each and are comprised of arount 1500 individual files (2d/3d etc.) and shuttling them off to individual DVD's would obliterate my file structure pathways and I'd never get it rebuilt when Premier asked..."where's file"..."". So I've though about Tape backup since they run large. However I have no idea about compression. If I use a 50GB tape witch goes to 100GB compressed, is it actually keeping all the information or is it dropping it like a video compressor? will I be able to open it back up again or will it all look like Sorenson "stuff". So I have choices like 50gb-100GBcomp or 2K more with 100GB start. Help. Please.

lusid
04-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Don,t know if this is the advice you are looking for, but dump it back to tape. I keep all my Source tapes, in and out points used to capture, and edit decision list and the dump the final edit to miniDV tape. Storage is cheap and lossless.

------------------

lusid
04-10-2003, 09:43 PM
oh yeah,
tape backup has optional compression which is lossless too.
I just burn my non-video files to CD as I do not use that many for my video work
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif