PDA

View Full Version : Monochrome signal into an analogue->DV converter

Doc
02-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi all

Say - I'm trying to feed a black and white signal from a video camera (I know - it's a scientific camera so I need the speed) into a Miglia Take2 converter - it balks at passing the B & W signal - and their FAQ says as much. I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the other converters out there (Canopus, Sony, etc) to see if they can process black and white video correctly. I've been trying to see if any of those composite -> S Video signal converters would work. I think the problem is that, rather than trying to get a colour signal converted into black and white, which means simply looking at one colour line - my black and white input only has the one colour line and I'm trying to split it out into a pseudo-colour video signal. Any ideas?. Any elec. eng types with ideas on mocking up a circuit to do this?.

Thanks

Chris

kaye
02-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Chris,

I have some old Navy carrier ops VHS tapes in B&W. I can try importing via my Canopus ADVC-100 to iMovie later today if that would be sufficient and no one else has directly answered by then. Let me know. Goddess has a long laundry list of to-do's today before I can get to this. k

Doc
02-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi K.

That would be great - thanks so much...

If this works, then I'll see if I can trade in my Miglia for a Canopus from our local dealer...I have another devious idea, which is to have an undergrad elec. eng student figure out how to clone appropriately the B and W signal into the requisite channels on a colour system and then have that input into the Miglia - but that might be a bit of a stretch - "has to work through, right???" <- this is coming from a supervisor's perspective, not the worker ;-) ....

Thanks again

Chris

kaye
02-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Chris,

I tried several old B&W VHS tapes, absolutely no problem importing into iMovie. What I can't prove is whether or not a color signal is present even tho the footage is all B&W. So I headed over to the Canopus web site and their forums and couldn't find any such limitation with my box. No mention anywhere. You might email their tech or post to their ADVC forum. I did find the limitation you mention with the Miglia Take2 on their web site. I wonder why but they don't say. k

Doc
02-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Oh well...

Straight from the Canopus source:

To: "'Christopher Yip'" <christopher.yip@utoronto.ca>
Subject: RE: Question re: capturing a monochrome source.
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:23:24 -0800

Hello Chris,

Unfortunately our Advanced Digital Video Converters (ADVCs) will not be able to handle a pure B&W source. Off-hand I can't think of any converters that will do what you require. I would definitely recommend checking out our User Forums and asking around to see if anyone has found a solution to this problem. Hope this helps Chris, and if you have any further questions please feel free to give us a call.

Sincerely,

Joey Perez
Sales Agent
Canopus Corporation
1-888-899-EDIT www.canopus.com (http://www.canopus.com) <<http://www.canopus.com>http://www.canopus.com>

++++++

Darn

Chris

kaye
03-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Well, that answers that Chris. I wonder if exporting to VHS tape would give a color signal? Or adding a couple seconds of a boilerplate color Title at the beginning of the tape and then the B&W from the camera to the tape? Otherwise, I'm lost. k

Doc
03-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi

Yeah - I tried to do that i.e. use the VCR as a passthrough but it didn't work - at least in pass-through mode. Didn't try to tape but I suspect that would work. Our problem is that we would like to stream it right to tape and not have to deal with the "noise" coming in via the tape. We can run the B and W signal right into an Interview USB adapter and that works fine - but then we can't grab that into iMovie (arghhh)...

iMovie works great.. BTW - I picked up one of those PowerMate dial controllers (Keyspan?) - anyways - this thing is GREAT for moving frame by frame in iMovie - perfect tool...

Chris

kaye
03-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Doc,

I've not tried the Interview. Can you save its output to a FW drive then import into iMovie? Or save to an SVHS tape recorder? That has about 400 line res.

I have not tried the PowerMate. I go frame by frame in iMovie via the keyboard left and right arrow keys. k

kaye
03-02-2003, 09:30 AM
I bumped into this http://www.bensoftware.com/index.html on VersionTracker (gets high marks) this morning, BTV and BTV Pro, shareware which can be demoed. It does a lot of things, but what caught my eye is that it will take USB input, your Interview USB adapter comes to mind. What I don't see is whether saving that to a FW HD can be converted to a DV stream for iMovie, or whether there is a direct way to convert the USB output to DV stream. Worth a look tho or email the authors. k

Doc
03-03-2003, 01:31 AM
Thanks K...

I'm actually at a conference in San Antonio right now and ran into the vendors. They hadn't heard about that problem but then we realized that the system outputs a RS-170 / CCR signal and the analogue->DV converters are expecting a true NTSC (or PAL) signal.. So in essence I need an RS-170->NTSC converter. They did point out that I could try to use their software (or a 3rd party solution) to spool the data direct to disk...

I don't think the Interview shows up in iMovie but I could be wrong - worth looking at when I get back T.O.

Chris

jmikey
03-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Chris...I see you got the Miglia.

Can you describe your camera hardware a little more. Is your video out coax only, or do you have other outputs? I have a buddy who works with video in a medical/scientific environment, and I was wanting to feed him as much information as possible to see if he has an answer. I mentioned that your A-D converter was "prosumer" so that any possible solution would not be too exotic.

I also found this link as a primer for RS-170. It at least seems that RS-170 and NTSC are related.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/video/rs170.html

[This message has been edited by jmikey (edited 04 March 2003).]

Doc
03-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Hi..

the camera I have is the CoolSnap HQ from Roper Scientific (it's a $30K low light camera) - this is the one that has the monochrome RS170 out as a passthough on its dedicated PCI card.
http://www.roperscientific.com

I tried a couple of other cameras here at the show - including one from QImaging camera that runs via Firewire - I didn' t have the Miglia here but it also didn't launch up iMovie nor did quickTime recognize it. Again - same problem re: monochrome signal

Any info would be great.. - I'll check the link...

Thanks

Chris