PDA

View Full Version : fire wire playback

forcetwelve
11-14-2002, 10:30 PM
i'm having trouble playing / editing files from my external firewire HDD in premiere. i get a message suggesting that the drive is too slow. can i do anything to enable smmoth video playback through the firewire drive?

jmikey
11-18-2002, 02:38 PM
forcetwelve

Give some more complete system and hardware info....

mike

forcetwelve
11-18-2002, 04:24 PM
ok, sorry,

G4, 533mhz processor, 512 mb RAM, all devoted to premiere, the external disk is a 40 gig samsung in a icecube housing.

i am wondering if i have rendevideo before playback, although i don't have to when playing from my internal drive?

kaye
11-20-2002, 07:59 PM
I wonder how fast that external FireWire HD is? Do you have any bench utilities, such as ATTO ExpressPro-Tools, to test it? We have it on the ftp site, version 2.60 or 2.70 will do, but latest is on the ATTO download site. k

forcetwelve
11-20-2002, 08:12 PM
the drive has the following specs, i havn't tested it to be sure.

40Gb Samsung Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2Mb Cache.

kaye
11-20-2002, 08:25 PM
I've got an external BUSlink FW drive with exactly the same specs. It gets about 14MB/s sustained read and sustained write. Even tho it is 7200rpm, it does not have an Oxford 911 bridge, so it is relatively slow. But even that should be plenty enough for video editing.

You need to check the performance. Maybe there is a problem with the drive. k

forcetwelve
11-20-2002, 10:52 PM
strangely enough, it's brand new, has nothing on it but 10gig of video files. thanks for your help, would appreciate any more info if you ever here of any.

jmikey
11-21-2002, 02:51 AM
forcetwelve

The download that kaye suggested, may have these tools in it, but you might look for "tuning" tools for your FW drive. For instance, the Intech Hard Disk SpeedTools 3.5 that I used to set up my EZ Quest 120G FW drive has tuning options for different tasks....with stability at one end of the options, and speed at the other.

You control this by the amount of data that is transferred in a bundle. For stability, more bundles of smaller amounts of data are transferred which slows down the drive. For speed, fewer bundles of larger amounts of data, are transferred, but errors are more likely to occur. Digital video puts a requirement on speed.

If you keep getting indications that your external FW is too slow, I would look for drive tuning options for your FireWire drive. I'm not familiar with Premiere...you may have some preferences that you can set from the program...but I would investigate your FW drive set-up software and see if it gives you some optimum settings for digital video. The default drive speed is toward the conservative side, so, that very well could solve your problem. Even Nortons, and the like, gives you the ability to optimize a drive for different tasks, if you have that software.

mike

jmikey
11-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Another question for you.........are you NTSC or PAL in your location?

And, you do not have to render before playback. I assume, for Premiere, that when you are editing clips, you are VIEWING at 15fps?

mike

forcetwelve
11-21-2002, 04:45 PM
I am running PAL in Australia. 15fps is standard i think for premiere. i had been told that rendering was needed before playback as transitions between clips isn't done until rendering.

jmikey
11-22-2002, 02:21 AM
What kind of transitions are you trying to do?......Titleing, slo mo, blending? How long is this project planned to be?

Are you able to choose a Low-Res render to see MOST of the simpler effects before doing a final render?

You may not have enough CPU to do many real-time effects, but, if they're not too ambitious, you might be able to do them until your program tells you it can't keep up... either in a timeline, or message panel, or freeze-frame. Again, I'm not familiar with Premiere....these are some options in Final Cut Pro. It seems, though, that a Low-res edit for looking at some of the simpler effects before doing a final render would be probable. Adobe produces After Effects, so, I would think there would be a bit of a boost in the Filter and Effect arena of Premiere, without AE.

When you said "Playback" earlier, I thought you meant you couldn't view your clips at final 30fps resolution, size,etc., after saving them, since to ease CPU requirements while capturing, you were pre-viewing at 15 fps.

Did you investigate the tuning and optimization options?

mike

[This message has been edited by jmikey (edited 23 November 2002).]