PDA

View Full Version : New 17" iMac for Editing ?

steevg
11-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Hi,
well this is a first for me, I currently own (or owned) a PC based NLE system, but sold it off recently as it was unreliable and crashed regularly. I'm reliably informed that the way to go is MAC & FCP3 !

So guy's I have a few questions: -
1) Will a New 17" 800Mhz iMac be suitable for NLE work ? (Nothing fancy, no special FX etc., just training vid's & short documentries).
2) Can I use the single Hard Drive (ATA100 etc) which comes with the unit to capture video to, or will I have to run a seperate (external?) drive to capture to? How about a firewire/USB drive - approx 80-120Gb?
3) Will the iMac run Final Cut Pro 3 reliably and fast enough without any problems, or will I have to have huge amounts of RAM/Dual CPU's etc?
4) What specification should I request (RAM, Drives, etc.) if I decide to buy?

Any other info for an ex-PC editor would be very welcome. My days of messing with BIOS's and Registry's to get the job done are over!

Many thanks in anticipation of your help!

TZ
11-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Get a G4 tower. You can have expansion options. Use a large monitor and still have a smaller one for palettes and such. FCP3 will benefit from a dual cpu, easy to upgrade and run 2GB RAM. You can add PCI HARD RAID and a couple good 120GB drives. You want to have multiple drives. Disk I/O is best if it isn't all happening on one drive. Three: system and applications, scratch, input and output. You may want FireWire for backup, to transport, or even to download what you capture.

I'd want a 19" LCD and 22" CRT (the CRT for better color and more resolutions etc). Jaguar seems to need an extra 2" too. the iMac doesn't have DDR or 167 MHz front side bus. You get a better video card in a tower.

I assume that you'll be using Jaguar?

steevg
11-20-2002, 07:36 PM
Gregory,
Thanks for the quick reply to my post .......... er Jaguar, would that be the graphics card? Not familiar with that I'm afraid.
Please explain ...... I'm a real Mac novice!
Incidentally, I was told by the local mac dealer, that the new iMac would be fine, but I can see very quickly, the spec's for PC & Mac are similar regarding better realtime functionality with dual CPU's and lots of RAM, and a seperate HDD for capture etc.

Doc
11-21-2002, 12:23 AM
"Jaguar" is the name Apple gave to their operating system (at least the latest version - 10.2)

Chris