PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar HD configuration

qaedakiller
10-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Hi -

I've got a dual processor G4 and I'd like to configure my hard drives to maximize speed, efficiency for PhotoShop and Final Cut Pro. Should I put the system on one drive and files and apps on another? What makes sense? Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated.

Note - I have an Acard IDE RAID 133 controller. What to do?

Boots
10-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Hi qk, could you be a little more specific as to your configuration; how many drives of what type, etc. And what OS(s) are you running..also what kind of work are you doing specifically with those two apps; big huge files with Pshop? Thirty minute QT movies in FCP? What other hardware are you running, if any? Please give us a more detailed picture.

TZ
10-22-2002, 08:23 AM
(Get some Cheetah X15.3's http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WD Special Edition 120GB drives. use your RAID for scratch and be sure to backup regularly. I'd put the system on #3 drive and use the two your've got for work. What do you want, and what do you need? If you said you need database, graphics, or just to browse the web? do you need 200MB/s sustained writes? when you chose HARD RAID, why that instead of something else?

I'm partial to SCSI. You can get ATTO UL2D for Ultra2 for $30 or U160 for $329. You WILL notice the difference. But to get the best of what you have, just get another drive for OS X, 9.2.2, static data (installers, etc).

One thing to put on your shopping list, Disk Warrior; FireWire backup solution. No matter what else you do or don't do.

Gregory