at lower res settings and different mags! Is it because
the IXM is a proprietary 2D acceleration using all 8MB,
and the GForce is mainly for 3D and games without proprietary
2D acceleration? (Nobody can answer this question for me,
including Apple tech support)

rwm
05-06-2002, 04:00 PM
Try looking at some info on this page. http://www.barefeats.com/speedtests.html

I really don't know if it will answer your question, but there is some good info on 2D 3D here.

I would think the gForce would be much better - ???

Randy

KKD
05-06-2002, 04:38 PM
Hey, rvm2, thanks for the URL! I'll check it out.
I still need for a solid answer/explaination so I will elaborate on the problem hoping for more forum response. The speed and test results you will see in advertisements refer mostly to rendering polygons-per-second, mip-mapping, z-buffering etc., all are 3D attributes.. while this is good, I need true 2D acceleration to do my job. I know what I see on the monitor, and I was shocked to find that the IXM 8MB card scrolled hi-res images smoother and also was not choppy at "odd" magnification sizes. My imagination had no factor in the experience, I worked for 13 hours with it!

kaye
05-07-2002, 01:36 AM
I have recently been working with three machines, PTP xlr8 G3-540/270, S900 Newer G3-500/250, and QS G4-800DP.

the PTP has had the TT 8MB, Ult Rez 8MB, and Formac ProFormance3+ 32MB. The S900 has had a TT 8MB, Ult Rez 8MB and Radeon PCI 2000. In 2D, from slowest to fastest:

TT 8MB -> Ult Rez 8MB -> Radeon PCI 2000 -> Formac ProFormance3+ 32MB. The PF3+ 32MB is by far the fastest 2D card ever built for a vintage Mac. Way faster. Leaves all those other cards in the dust for 2D. About 2.5 times faster than the TT 8MB.

Those are all PCI slot cards. My G4-800DP has an AGP slot nVidia GeForce 3. This card is at least 2x as fast as the PF3+ 32MB card in 2D. Probably more. I can only guess that there is somehing wrong with the card or adapter for the G4, or very possibly one or more of the nVidia extensions (such as nVidia 2D acceleration) is missing or corrupted. If everything is working right, there is no comparison in 2D. That does not mean I don't love my PTP. k

KKD
05-07-2002, 08:04 PM
Kaye, thanks for the feedback!
It will be a week or so before I'm back at that Platinum G4 and I can check the nVidia 2D extension on it. My fingers are crossed! KKD

kaye
05-07-2002, 10:19 PM
There ae six extensions for my GeForce 3.

NVIDIA 2D Acceleration
NVIDIA Driver
NVIDIA DVD Accelerator
NVIDIA Engine
NVIDIA OpenGL
NVIDIA Video Accelerator

These extensions are all version 3.0 from NVIDIA Driver Update 1.1.

That's it. Could be a corruption if all is there. Could be an extension for another nVidia card. Lots of posssibilities. k

KKD
05-08-2002, 06:06 PM
Thanks again kaye.. Are the extensions same in the Geforce3 and 4?
(I would think this is obviously so.. but it can't hurt to be sure!)
This box was ordered new with the card installed, so if drivers are corrupt where do I get good replacements?
Response from any hi-res artists out there that have experienced 2D insufficiency with G4 accelerators appreciated. FYI.. the particular G4 experiencing "choppy" resolution has a GeForce4 running NEC 21" Multsync. (If important normal working images 500-900MB)
KKD

kaye
05-08-2002, 10:57 PM
I have no idea if the drivers are the same. Before looking into corrupt extensions, I'm wondering a couple of things. What is the application those files are being worked in? Is virtual memory turned on? Has enough RAM been assigned to the application? How much RAM is in the machine?

For instance, I keep virtual memory off, but then I have 1.5GB of RAM in the G4. I normally assign 50MB to Photoshop. But I have worked with up to 350MB file sizes. What I do then is assign 2.5 or 3 times the file size before launching PShop. Everything goes like gangbusters then. If PShop has to assign a drive to compensate for low application memory, things could be running at hard drive speed instead of memory speed. k

KKD
05-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Yes.. all application settings are correct.
(Photoshop, virtual off, Pshop memory 900MG, 1.25GB installed) The G4 has standard slow ATA drive but but Pshop history is off and I save frequently.
Before I get ahead of that G4's bad rsolution problem, I'll check out the extensions you rccm'd. (thanks!) But it will be a week or so. I was mostly concerned about ordering the same config G4 for myself and having this problem on it as well.
KKD