PDA

View Full Version : DVD authoring

ndp
04-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Is there a way to author a DVD without owning DVD Studio Pro or iDVD? I have a Beige G3, and a DVD-R drive. I have movie editing software (iMovie) and DVD Mastering software (Toast) but not DVD authoring software. iDVD is free - with a *new* mac. And DVD Studio Pro is obnoxiously priced. Is there another solution? Do I even need the authoring software? Or is there a way to "hack" together the contents for toast?

mactheripper
04-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Find someone to "lend" you a burnt copy of iDVD. Oops, did I say that?
No, I didn't.

ndp
04-17-2002, 01:30 PM
iDVD will not run on a machine without an internal Pioneer Superdrive. Information on this topic is hard to come by, but one thing is clear - in order to drive sales of NEW Macs, (as opposed to letting people simply buy a DVD-R for their old Mac) - Apple has given people who want to burn DVD's two choices: Buy DVD Studio Pro (cha-ching! $999) to compliment your new 3rd-party DVD drive, or buy a NEW Mac with the built-in Apple Superdrive. They figure they're gonna get your money either way. I think Apple's profit margin is probably much higher for the poor saps who buy DVD Studio Pro.

Now, there ARE hacks I've found that supposedly make iDVD work on a non-superdrive-equipped Mac. These hacks do not work - it's possible that they are specific to a certain version of iDVD, not the one I tried.

There is another alternative now. Formac is selling an external firewire DVD-R/RW (actually the Pioneer DVR-a04, the Apple one is the a03), bundled with proprietary DVD authoring software, which cannot be used on any other drive. These DVD software people seem really intent on locking people into a specific hardware solution, don't they?

I guess that other DVD authoring software is out there - cheapest I've found is $4000. So next to that, DVD Studio Pro *sounds like* a bargain.

Note to Apple: I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for a non-hardware-restricted copy of iDVD. This kind of tactic does not make you "the market leader in burning DVD's" - it just makes you despised by formerly loyal customers.