PDA

View Full Version : Targa 2000 Pro PCI-Mac

billbo
03-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Anybody use 'em?

Anybody know where to get the specs (they weren't at Pinnacle's site from what I could tell).

Advantages, disadvantages?

TIA

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

lech2
03-27-2002, 05:23 AM
yes I use Targa1000 Pro with component capabilities on my PowerMac 9600/200 upgraded with XLR8 Mach to 466 MHz.
I use the last software Vers. 3.1 dated when Truevision was bought by Pinnacle.(it has a Pinnacle logo).
It seems the Software won¬Ąt work with Premiere 6 in MacOS 9.1.
I must go back to Premiere 5.1.

Lech

dragon_x
03-27-2002, 09:26 AM
I think that RTMac card that Apple sells with its G4s is looking pretty good. I think it works with FCPro 3, but there are no X drivers yet - So I guess it only works in 9. The card was around $1000, now its like $500 and they are saying X drivers will come out in a few months.

I'm no DV guru, but that stuff is look'n good!

Of course if you dont have any version of FCP or a DV Cam or a new Mac then things can get expensive quickly http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

lech2
04-16-2002, 12:42 PM
The Targa2000 is usefull if you want to digitize " classic" analog video footage
especially from component (YUV) source like Betacam SP. For almost 10 000 $ you got once a new Targa2000 which at 3.1:1 compression gives you broadcast quality. About 80 % of all TV station in the world use still Betacam SP format.#
On contrary the Matrox RT is digital card which has some hardware acceleration. Basicaly you can use almost any Firewire Card ( even at 40 $) to transfer DV footage from camera to computer, you do not necessarily need the Matrox card.
By the way hardly anybody knows that Final Cut , until version 2 could not process footage in two important (for graphics artists) format : numbered bitmaps and filmstrip. Adobe Premiere reads and writes these formats.

lech2
04-17-2002, 04:19 AM
Tech specs of Targa 2000
link: http://www.ecctv.de/sb/avkarten/t2sdx.htm

billbo
04-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Hey thanks for those specs.

When I originaly posted this topic,I had been able to bid on one via digibid, but I didn't bid because I couldn't find those spec's and decided to just forget it. Now I'm kicking myself in the head!!! I don't need Avid quality stuff, hell I don't even have a DV-corder, I just have a (found out it's busted anyway) old VHS-C camcorder.

I'm guessing that since I need a new shooting device that I might as well wait till I find a good deal on one (ie-CHEAP) and pick up either XLR8 or Ratoc USB and/or F/Wire card to capture vid.

It's not like I'm doing a Lord Of The Rings sort of undertaking, but I do have willing actors to participate in my "indie film" that I'd like to get started within the next year or so.

Thanks for the info though

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"