PDA

View Full Version : is full frame video capure possibe with personality card on G3?

jzkpr
03-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Hello all.

I was thinking about trying sme full frame video capture video the Svideo inputs on the MT G3 Beige I have running at 366. Is this possible to accomplish? Tyring to make some VCDs of some music videos.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

dragon_x
03-26-2002, 11:38 PM
I guess it depends on what your 'full screen' is. Normally about 640x480 - I guess. I was able to go 320x240@11fps smooth on my 7600/180Mhz AV setup. Never tried a G3 system. Strangely with compression turned on it became choppy running from 20fps to 8fps (something like that) but I'm sure a native G3 system is better suited. You probably want to have about 20GB partition (drive) dedicated to the video capture and I guess you could probably use the built-in software. Make sure you have some good drives - uncompressed full screen can chew up space quick. Good thing drives are cheap!

QT Pro should be able to save out in mpeg1 format.

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

ICCAFSN
03-27-2002, 01:13 AM
You get the smoothest (highest fps) video capture when you use no compression, because the computer doesn't have to 'think/compress' anything before writing it to your hard drive. A variety of things can affect your fps's. First, you need a FAST hard drive on a FAST connection (regular [5 MB/s] and Fast SCSI [10 MB/s] don't cut it). Also, you need to make sure that your monitor is set to the same number of colors as you're capturing (having your monitor on millions while capturing a clip at thousands affects the capture rate). With these few suggestions said, my 8500 (upgraded to a G3/420) can capture video with 16-bit, stereo, 44 KHz audio to my 7200 RPM Maxtor IDE hard drive (controlled by a Sonnet Tempo 100) [this configuration gets throughput of 25+ MB/sec according to ATTO's benchmarks] at 320x240 @ 30 fps. At fullscreen 640x480, I've not been able to come anywhere close to 30 fps with the same configuration (I'm thinking it was 10-18 fps). Although, I'm not sure how it might be different on a beige G3 which has a faster bus speed.