PDA

View Full Version : Video basics...

DJ TEMPO
03-15-2002, 12:01 AM
OK, I'm trying to adhere to the KISS method, but I might be making things harder for myself than need be.

I've got an old 8500/200 which has AV I/O on the back. I've installed Adobe Premiere 5.1, and can't seem to get it to see any video input. There were no extensions loaded with Premiere that I'm aware of. Will it just "recognize" the AV I/O that's built in? Or do I need some extension, or something all together different? Also, there's no option for changing the "input" to "built-in". I would assume Premiere would have been written to recognize other hardware including aftermarket manufacturers video capture cards.

If I just run it in the "record" mode, I get a recording of a dark version of the "snow" you see on channel 3. There is no recognition of the video I'm sending into the built-in AV input.

My intent is to record some old videos I've got (elvis costello, duran duran, sex pistols, etc) and record them onto CD-R using Toast Deluxe 4.0 for playback on a DVD player that's CD-V capable. Anyone see any problem in my concept?

I've also got Indeo Video 5 and Final Cut Pro 1.0 if anyone thinks they might be easier to use or more compatible.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chiip

ICCAFSN
03-15-2002, 12:36 AM
There're two things I'm thinking of that could screw up the video input stuff on your 8500 (aside from defective hardware). First you need to have the driver for the video input (it's called Video Startup in your extensions folder). Second, you need to make you have the proper video input selected. Your 8500 actually has 2 video input sources, the RCA video connector and the S-Video connector. Make sure that the right one is selected in your Premiere preferences. As far as seeing other digitizers other than 'built-in', installing the drivers that come with those video input devices will put additional items into that menu.

DJ TEMPO
03-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Video Startup is there. BTW, I'm running system 8.1.

Premiere doesn't offer a "preferences" menu/toggle for the S/normal input. Not that I can discern anyway. Again, v. 5.1.

I'm puzzled. I'm inclined to think I'm missing some software component. But it seems it's all there. I'm ignorant, and that's my final answer.

Any other ideas?

Chip

DJ TEMPO
03-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Try as I might, I can not find a selection toggle to switch between the normal and S video inputs. Again, this is v. 5.1 of Premiere. Might it be S-VHS ignorant?

Still stumped.

Chip

DJ TEMPO
03-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Also, the system requirements for Indeo Video 5 and Final Cut Pro 1.0 are more than I've got here. Indeo works on the hardware, but requires System 8.5 or higher, which I don't have. I've got a version of VideoShop coming that I won off eBay the other night. We'll see.

Chip

ICCAFSN
03-17-2002, 10:57 PM
I'm not in front of my 8500 at the moment (I'm on vacation for a week), but my reference to toggling between RCA and S-Video is in reference to the options I get in choosing video when using BTV. Are you able to play video through to your monitor when using Apple Video Player or BTV?

DJ TEMPO
03-18-2002, 12:07 PM
OK, no idea what BTV is, but I found Apple Video Player (hey... what else is on this machine I don't know about???) and it also only allows me to see a darker version of "snow" in the preview window. I checked that the signal going TO it is valid (connected it to a TV monitor), but nothing shows up in the preview window on my 8500's monitor but this snow stuff.

Hardware? Any idea what to replace it with? Can the built in video I/O be replaced easy enough? Is there some "aftermarket" video I/O that I might consider that will work with my "modest" 8500/200?

Chip

rwm
03-18-2002, 02:58 PM
DJ

You may have read these posts. They are not exactly specfic to what your doing but they have some good info that might help. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000035.html

Theres more but got to go. be back - emergency - sorry

Good luck
Randy

DJ TEMPO
03-19-2002, 12:49 AM
OK, somebody just shoot me...

I had moved the 8500 back into its space on the desktop after reconnecting the RCA cords to make sure I was using the inputs and not the outputs. I accidently pushed/bumped/pulled on the SCSI-cable and dislodged the PCI Jackhammer card from it's slot. So... pull everything again, crack the case to replace the Jackhammer card, lo and behold.... the ribbon cable connecting the AV card to the motherboard was not connected. I don't remember ever disconnecting it, it may have been like that since I got the thing a couple years ago. Anyhoo...

Plugged it in, and hey! I can see my videos in the preview windows now.

So, does anyone know of a program that will allow me to do basic edits on video? Cutting parts from the beginning and ending, fades, maybe even editing of the audio?

I've got Premiere 5.1, but it seems a little nebulous in it's operation. Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

Chip

ICCAFSN
03-19-2002, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure if it'll run on the 8500, but it sounds like you need iMovie (which is free too).