PDA

View Full Version : Playing .avi files

rageman
03-13-2002, 09:53 AM
ok, ok, I know this isn't a profesional question, but this seemed the best place to post. Does anyone know a way to play .avi files on a Mac?

Quicktime won't play 'em for me, and I've tried to put them thru Cleaner, but they just keep crashing the program (even with tons o'ram). Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated (especially the kind that are free).

Sean

rwm
03-13-2002, 01:50 PM
I had the same question several months back, here are some posts..
. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000014.html .
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000021.html

I never tried it. - Too many other priorities.

Good luck
Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 13 March 2002).]

rwm
03-13-2002, 04:46 PM
I reread the posts. The one I was thinking about - I can't find.

I remember needing the Divx player and it works with Windows Media player 6.x - I had 7 and it would not work - so I never got to far into it.

Try a search in the "Videophiles Only" for Divx, avi or other terms - you will find help.

Randy

rageman
03-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the advice! Divx player did the trick for me!

Much appreciated,
Sean

ICCAFSN
03-13-2002, 08:36 PM
In addition to DivX AVI's there are other AVI's that don't play properly because the codecs are not part of QuickTime. If I'm not mistaken Indeo 3, 4, 5 are examples of some other AVI formats not natively supported by QuickTime. You can download the Indeo 5 codec from Apple, and I think the other two came with Microsoft products (I'm thinking IE 4.5).

rageman
03-14-2002, 09:31 AM
I did download and install the Indeo codec 3, 4, and 5, but to no avail in this case. Divx is all that worked. I seem to remember the read me for these saying you needed QT Pro, which I don't have. Oh well, maybe they'll come in handy in the future.

Thanks again,
Sean

dragon_x
03-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Like .mov, .avi files can be encoded in a wide variety of codecs. The big problem with .avi is that they always seem to come out with a new codec every week - or so I hear. The DivX codec is fairly good and now its popular so hopefully that will be the dominant codec for .avi from here on out.

I was able to get the my QTPro5 to play divx avi movies, but the sound does not work on many of them. Hopefully this will be fixed with the full release. I think Divx gives the encoder the option of MP3 (mpeg1, layer 3) format for sound... and maybe other formats too. I forget which one has issues with the Mac 'lib' of divx.

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.