PDA

View Full Version : which drive for video transfer?

mikemcking
02-03-2002, 10:21 PM
I just bought an 867mHz G4 with 640MB ram, an Ultra ATA/66 harddrive, Firewire ports and a DVD burner. I want to transfer video tapes to DVD and need some help picking a drive.

Is the IDE drive I have fast enough to handle this or do I need to get something faster in SCSI?

Or, is the FireWire interface the way to go?

Bottom line, I think, is this: Do I already have all I need with my IDE drive, or, do I just need to get a FireWire drive, or do I need to go SCSI (meaning I need a card and a drive).

Thanks for any help.

ICCAFSN
02-04-2002, 03:06 AM
If you're planning on importing your video into your computer through Firewire DV (in which case you'd need to buy an analog video -> Firewire converter box) your IDE drive should be fast enough. My brother captures old cartoons he has on tape to his iMac's stock hard drive (hardly high performance) without problems using a Sony converter box. DV is nice (compared to importing uncompressed video) because it compresses down the video coming into your computer and therefore reduces the throughput needed and saves you drive space. Note: DV is the same codec used natively by iMovie.

mikemcking
02-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Ok, help me with this, and help me understand iMovie. When your brother compresses using the DV codec, the result is something that looks good on iMovie, right? And "looks good" means what, exactly? Does the result look just like the original, or is it jerky? Is the result full screen, or something smaller. Can the result be burned onto a DVD and played back on a TV, and if so does that look good on full screen, or not?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ICCAFSN
02-04-2002, 10:42 PM
The data coming out of the Firewire converter box is simply channeled through the Firewire port of your Mac and is written to the hard drive. The data being channeled is already compressed (the converter box compresses it) and is in the DV format. Unlike uncompressed video (in which the data coming into your computer is not converted/compressed into any codec), with DV you can capture at full screen (>=640x480) at 30 fps in full color because of the fact that your computer is dealing with so much less data. From the DV stream that my brother captures to his hard drive, he can either compress it into MPEG1/VCD's (using Toast's VCD converter) or into MPEG2/DVD's (using iDVD - but he hasn't done this before since he doesn't have a DVD burner). I'm pretty sure the data rate of a DV stream is higher than MPEG2 and is actually higher quality than MPEG2. I don't have firsthand experience with all this stuff, but I've heard it many times over from my brother when he was hunting for a good VCD encoder. If anyone notices anything wrong in what I've said, please correct me.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 04 February 2002).]