PDA

View Full Version : VIdeo capture issues in 8500

NetFrog
01-27-2002, 08:29 PM
I have an 8500/132 with the Sonnet G3/375 upgrade, 240MB RAM, OS 9.1, a Seagate Barracuda narrow 18GB HD (the one the Gurus are so fond of) for my media files, and a Conner 2GB HD containing the OS (I believe this drive came with the machine originally).

I recently installed Premiere 6 to use for capturing using the onboard video capabilities of the 8500 (one of the reasons I bought this particular machine used was the fact that it had video inputs). However, I couldn't get the program to recognize any kind of capture device. I had heard the original Apple Video Player would work with the onboard capture, so I went to Apple's "Older Software" download page and d/l'ed the older video player. After installing, it locked up when I tried to run it, and I was forced to reboot the machine. Now, not only does the machine still not recognize the video card, but the machine won't run AVP, HackTV, or Premiere! Every time I try, I get the following error box:

"The application ___ has unexpectedly quit, because an update to this software is required for compatability with the improved Mac OS file system. You should save your work in other open applications, and restart the computer."

I have never seen any evidence of this error box and what it means, and I am confused since other apps (like IE 5.1, MS Office 2000 and iTunes) still work fine. How do I fix the error problem, and once I do that, how do I get Premiere to recognize the onboard capture device?

[This message has been edited by NetFrog (edited 27 January 2002).]

ICCAFSN
01-28-2002, 01:49 AM
You need to grab your OS 9.1 CD, run the installer, choose custom install and choose to install the Apple Video Player. I think your computer may be having a conflict with the (probably) older version of AVP you installed. The reason that none of the vid-cap programs work while every thing else (i.e. Office) does is because all the vid-cap programs are trying to use the same (older) driver you installed with the old AVP. Using a current version of the AVP application and driver (Video Startup) will hopefully fix your problems.

mactheripper
01-28-2002, 03:00 AM
Shazzam! Knew these guys would be able to help.
Thanks, ICCAFSN.

ps. Does that stand for something?
'Frog, you aren't a Horned Frog, are you? a la TCU?

NetFrog
01-28-2002, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the advice...I tried doing the custom install, but it said "Could not install Mac OS because your hard drive was formatted with a non-Apple disk utility". Not sure why that's coming up because I upgraded this drive from System 8 to OS 9.1 about a year ago. This is frustrating as I've had no problems with this Mac until now...

And yes, I am a TCU grad and football fan, thus "NetFrog".

ricks
01-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Ribbet NetFrog,
Are you sure it said "can't install MacOS" or did it say "can't upgrade Driver"?

The first surprises me (I've never seen that with that for the reason, not to say I won't tomorrow), the second you can just uncheck the update driver option and go on.

Rick

rwm
01-28-2002, 03:33 PM
I had the same problem.

As ricks said - when you first start the install procrss there is a window or two "I think hidden in a options window" but find it and uncheck the driver update option.

It worked for me.

Randy

ICCAFSN
01-28-2002, 09:49 PM
My screen name ICCAFSN is basically an acronym of a phrase I uttered when I was trying to pick out a screen name the fist time I signed on to AOL Instant Messenger. It stands for I Can't Choose A (expletive) Screen Name. Quite ironically, I've always been able to use that acronym as a screen name ever since I came up with it.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 28 January 2002).]