PDA

View Full Version : PC Photoshop to System 7.5 MAC

nakadoc
12-30-2001, 11:23 PM
Im trying to import PICT files from Photoshop 5.0 Windows to my Avid/MAC System 7.5. Neither Quicktime Movieplayer, Simpletext nor the Avid recognizes these files as PICT files.

Photoshop automatically saves it with the suffix .PCT Ive tried caps and lowercase, renamed it .PICT (both on the PC and on the MAC, but nothing seems to make it recogizable. Ive also tried converting the TIF (the original file format) to the Mac bit order.

Does this problem ring a bell?

professor
01-03-2002, 08:57 PM
have you done this before or is this a new problem?

ChrisYip
01-03-2002, 11:42 PM
Have you tried GraphicConverter?.

Chris

nakadoc
01-04-2002, 11:08 PM
No I haven't tried this before. I suppose that, just because Photoshop for windows offers to save as a PICT, that doesn't necessarily mean that a MAC will buy it.

I looked at Graphics Converter and it does look promising. Do you think the older versions are still available for System 7.5, or would the current version work?

professor
01-04-2002, 11:09 PM
This is how we make pict files with alpha for for importing.
We use Photoshop 5.0.2:

bottom layer is a layer of black,
turn off layer of black,
goto channels,
delete all channels except rgb, red, green, and blue.
make new channel,
goto image, choose apply image,
in apply image:
under channel choose transparency,
under blending choose normal,
opacity choose 100%, then choose ok.
goto channels pallete,
turn the eyeball for the new channel off.
goto layers palette:
turn bottom layer of black back on,
then save a copy as a pict file with no compression, 32 bit.
be sure to invert alpha when you import the pict file.

sorry, i didn't see the pc reference. tomorrow i'll have the info to post the way to do it from pc photoshop to an mac avid.

[This message has been edited by professor (edited 04 January 2002).]

nakadoc
01-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned that I was speaking of photographs.

ChrisYip
01-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Is there a particular reason you're still running OS 7.5? You might benefit from a system upgrade...

But you could certainly try it first - I don't know though - you might need a quicktime upgrade (if you want to use specific features) and there is where you might run into problems if you are still using 7.5

Chris

nakadoc
01-07-2002, 05:37 PM
Is there a particular reason you're still running OS 7.5?

Yes. The version of Avid Media Composer I am using will only run on this operating system.

professor
01-12-2002, 11:19 PM
sorry i've been away for so long. what pixel size are you saving it as? try 725x540.

professor
01-16-2002, 12:31 AM
just wondering if you got the problem fixed. the only other thing i could guess to do would be sure to ignore alpha when importing, or try it as a tiff or targa.

nakadoc
01-16-2002, 06:29 PM
It was a long road, but I did come up with an inelegant solution. My 10M widows scans of photographs, TIFFs, are then fed into a more modern MAC. I then convert them through Photoshop to PICTs. Ill then burn them to CD and take them into the Quadra 950, importing into the Avid.

I had an even more cumbersome method a week ago, but Ill spare you that story (I will mention in involved a vintage copy of Photoshop LE 3.x).

But in any case thanks to all for your help and advice.