PDA

View Full Version : RAID, Miro DC30 and 8600

kevinwhittenburg
11-14-2001, 03:15 PM
Greetings,
I have a problem with my system.
Config:
Powermac 8600/250 w/350mHz NewerTech G4 upgrade card
initio Miles2 Raid controller (PCI slot 1)
2 seagate 10k ST39204LW cheetahs striped level 0 (for recording only)
MiroMotion DC30 audio video capture card
Korg 1212 i/o digital audio card
OS 8.6
Software in question: Adobe Premiere 5.1c (and Strata VideoShop 4.0/3D)
First, all of my extension, control panels, support software and firmware updates are at the most recent for 8.6 and the hardware configuration.
My problem is this, when in Premiere or VideoShop in capture mode, I can capture up to about 3 to 3.5 minutes of video at fullrez, fullmotion and then the computer freezes. I tried cutting back to 320 x 240 but same deal. I've cut my Miles all the way back to 10MB in the SmartSCSI setup from 80MB per drive and all other defaults in place. Raid is formatted HFS+, but started out as standard...no difference.
Help me please. I've been to all the manufacturers sites to check out info but to no avail.
Thanks for any help you can offer. As is my system is about $1200 overstuffed with crap!
Kevin

kaye
11-14-2001, 08:36 PM
kevin,

In the MAXpowr control panel, is it set for Write-through for your G4? If not, try it. k

kevinwhittenburg
11-16-2001, 07:19 AM
kaye,
Thanks so much for your reply...
Setting the "switch" to write-through seemed to do the trick. I only got a couple of freezes in an hour or so of capturing clips. I still have a weird thing going on with the clips themselves though. After I try to play them back, I see that the video and audio "skip"...drastically. I was wondering if, based on my system config, you could suggest some settings for the Miles2 in the smart SCSI application/control panel? I've tried it wide open down to 10/drive and everything else left as default. BTW what's the diff between write though and write back?
Thanks again for bringing me this far,
Kevin Whittenburg

kaye
11-16-2001, 01:01 PM
Kevin,

I have absolutely no experience with your audio and video hardware and software. But since enabling Write-through is a partial solution to your problem, that leads me toward your memory, though I guess it could be the Miles2 and Cheetahs running too fast.

Still, we need to explore your memory. When Newer was still up and running, they had a tech doc online that the Newer G3/G4 cards needed specific memory (even many of their techies were not aware of the doc). In essence, you need FPM or EDO, 60ns or faster, 2k refresh, and, very important, you may need timing chips on the RAM sticks labeled 162244 (or 163244) which means it is BOTH buffered AND dampered. Memory timing chips labeled 16244 is buffered only (not dampered) and may not work reliably.

A couple of other points. If you have your memory interleaved, each pair of sticks should be sticks that were purchased at the same time, in other words, identical sticks. Dissimilar sticks, though they have the same specs, may not work reliably together interleaved. I only purchase in pairs and I mark the sticks so I know for sure which pairs go together for interleaving. You may want to try deinterleaving or at least check that the pairs look identical in the RAM chips and timing chips.

If you have some memory that is both buffered and dampered and some that is buffered only, try pulling the latter and see what happens. If you have some 70ns memory, try pulling that. G3/G4s really do better with 60ns or faster.

Last, the 2k refresh thing. If you have any 4k refresh, pull it, but... One thing to remember about this subject though. All 128MB sticks I have ever seen is labeled 4k refresh but meaning 2k-per-side. This applies to 128MB DIMMs only and works just fine with my Newer G3-500. So if you have 4k sticks 64MB or smaller, pull it. If you have 4k sticks 128MB, keep it.

My suggestion is to write down the info on the RAM chips (each RAM chip on a stick will all be the same) and write down the corresponding info on the timing chips, again for each stick. And tell us what slot each stick is in. Post the info to us. I know it is a job. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 16 November 2001).]

kevinwhittenburg
11-16-2001, 01:55 PM
Kaye,
You're right, that is quite a job, but I will get to it ASAP. However, it is Friday afternoon, and I have a weekend of Erdinger Weissbier waiting for me at home and an empty chair with my butt prints on it. Early next week, i'll get on that and get back to you.
Thanks!
K

dragon_x
11-16-2001, 08:05 PM
You're right, that is quite a job
Count yourself lucky that you do not have a 9500 or similar case.

XLR8 recommends that write-thru be enabled on ALL preG3 systems running a G4. I think they also recommend this for G3's running @ 500Mhz or faster (you would need to overclock the main bus to run faster than 500Mhz, but that does not stop everyone http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif )

Normally the CPU will write to and read from the L2 cache directly. Because these Mac are SOOO OLD they were not designed with a second bus in mind - unless you have a KANSAS board - but that is another story. Needless to say timing issues can develop as there is a much narrower margin for error. I would be even going from a 350Mhz 604e (Kanasa/Mach5) setup to a 350Mhz G4 would be a huge difference in computing power (if not total system computing power).

IIRC - Write thru means the CPU is skipping the L2 cach and writing data to the much slower main memory. I think Mag was ranting about not being able to run without write-thru enabled. The G4 can still read from the L2 cach - so it is still effective - but maybe only 50% - depending on what you are doing.

Hope that helps

kevinwhittenburg
11-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Dragon,
Isn't the 8600/250 a Kansas/Mach5 mb? If so, what might I do to take advantage of the different architecture? If that is even possible.
Well, it's off to Deutsch weissbierland...see you all next week and thanks so much.
Kevin

despaxas
11-19-2001, 02:40 AM
Only the 8600/9600s that were 300Mhz or faster were Mach5s.

kaye
11-19-2001, 11:08 AM
The 8600/250 is a Kansas Mach 5. See here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/mach5.html or here http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf?RID=263 (Notes under Logic Board). k

despaxas
11-22-2001, 08:39 AM
wow, you're right. I never knew that there was never an 8600/350 built either. Weird. You're the man, kaye. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif