PDA

View Full Version : Fuse, OSX & Pro Tools Dillemma

Bri
11-02-2001, 11:42 AM
I'm running an audio-post rig and I just upgraded everything: new Quicksilver, new Pro Tools, new surround config, and video, utilizing Aurora Fuse (functional for Pro Tools). Since my 867 Quicksilver came with OSX (and 9.2) I've been expecting some major innovations in audio and video -- especially with Pro Tools. I just found out that Fuse won't be upgraded for OSX. It looks like I may be stuck in OS 9 for a while, considering my system needs. The only other option is to return the Fuse (just purchased days ago) and find another upgradeable vid card that functions with Pro Tools. Is there anybody out there using Pro Tools and video card other than the DC30 plus or Fuse? Other thoughts and suggestions welcome.

brian

billbo
11-02-2001, 06:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Since my 867 Quicksilver came with OSX (and 9.2) I've been expecting some major innovations in audio and video -- especially with Pro Tools.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pro Tools is NOT compatible with OS X!!!
I know that sucks, but there it is.
I'm a "LE" user, and the LE folk are starting to get real pissy about not having OS-X and dual-processor support.
Since we don't have the cash for the DSP that the TDM Mix Family has, you could easily see why people that have layed down a few grand on a new Dual-G4 (not to mention buying the 001/AMIII hardware and PT's LE software) that's only utilizing half of it's computing power, and, well, you could probably see why there's some highly upset people.
Well, after that vent:

You will need to boot into your OS 9.2 partition when you start-up. I've heard nothing but trouble from those that have kept their OS-X partition. The "fix" for the LE user's has been to just completely re-initialize the drive, not installing OS-X.

Digi's been keeping real quiet about whether or not they're going to integrate PT's into OS-X (or not). I have a feeling that if they are going to make Pro Tools "X" compatible, we'll finaly get rid off OMS (unless Gibson and Avid have made some sort of deal to revive Opcode, we all know how likely that is) and us "LE" people will get Multi-Processor support for our RTAS investments.

For the record though, here's the Digi Compato Doc's -> http://www.digidesign.com/compato/

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Bri
11-03-2001, 08:30 AM
Thanks for responding.

Im staying away from OSX since I cant run my rig on it. But, my money is on digi coming out with an OSX version within a year from now. Im assuming its going to be running on the more expensive systems only and it will be Godlike, with crash protections and staggering power. I do hope upgrades will be available for us all.

Is OMS a problem? Do you prefer freeMIDI? I believe Apple has embraced OMS. I could be wrong. I guess Im a little biased since I have an old Studio 5 rig from my days when I ran Studio Vision.

brian

billbo
11-03-2001, 07:55 PM
I don't remember where, but I read that OS-X can handle MIDI & IAC communications more reliable than the MIDI app's already out there (ie-FreeMIDI, OMS, Apple's WAY OUT OF DATE- MIDI Manager), so this is why I am thinking Digi's holding out on a OS-X release of all Mac compatible Pro Tools (MIX, Mix3, PT's FREE, PT's LE, Sample Cell, etc...)

They probably want X to be more "reliable" before they make the transition.

However, I believe that OMS and FreeMIDI will be around for a while, because of all of the owner's of 6-Slot Macs still running Pro Tools, D.P., Logic, Cubase, etc.. However, I may be shooting my foot by saying that*

Especially because there's probably a lot of people out there still running a Mix Core with 3 DSP Farms alongside a SCSI HBA & video card (thus using up all 6 slots).

There's also been a lot of speculation/wishful thinking (at least with the PT's LE user's) that Digidesign will also come out with a good Host/Portable/Firewire Solution (like MOTU's 828).

I do agree that it will probably be after 2002 rolls around when Digi does release newer versions of their hard/software.

*However, I do think that the "supported" 95/9600 (which I have a 9500/200) will not be any longer supported when/if they make a "X-native" version of PT's, which will be unfortuant, but understandable with the expected release of Motorola G(8500?)5/1.x, x.xGHz CPU's.

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

[This message has been edited by billbo (edited 03 November 2001).]