PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo card questions

09-11-2001, 02:12 PM
I have been wanting to try a Voodoo but with all the different Voodoo's 2,3,4,5, how much more do, they increase performance and is it only for 3D and color in gaming?

Where else will it help the Internet, video clips, resolution/color ???

Trying to justify a Voodoo when I don't do the 3D or heavy duty graphic games.

Sounds like a Voodoo 4 or 5 would be best how about a 3? A little boost better than none?

Running a 7500 with the XLR8 G3 400Mhz, 224 megs ram, 4 MB VRAM.

Someone said I might stress the 7500’s power supply with a Voodoo5?

Well I was thinking a Voodoo 3 would work good - not too expensive, not stressing my power supply and I really don't do the 3D or heavy duty graphics.

BUT...........

A Voodoo 3 is $65+ used/new so a new Voodoo 5500 for just at or over $100 sounds like a better deal........

Suggestions or comments very much welcomed.

If I don't use my computer for many games - what would a Voodoo card do for me? Am I wasting my money?

Thanks
Randy

Mactacular
09-11-2001, 03:11 PM
If you don't do games, a Voodoo 3, 4, or 5 card (not the Voodoo 1 or 2, those are only pass through, 3d only cards) will do a lot for you if you are still using your built-in video. The Voodoo 3/4/5 2d is very robust, a huge, huge, huge, huge improvement over built-in video (saw it for myself, put a Voodoo 3 in my Powermac 8600 last winter, huge improvement). With a Voodoo card you will be able to run at much higher resolution, with up to 16.7 million colors. The internet will be sped up quite a bit in my opinion, as scrolling those pages is really great having fast redraws. Voodoo 4 and 5 cards have QuickTime video acceleration to make videos look nicer and play more fluid. The Voodoo 3s don't have the QuickTime acceleration, but do a great job keeping up with Voodoo 4/5s in Quicktime.

A Voodoo 5 will not burden your power supply, and if you like games, picking a 5 over a 3 will really show it's benefits. The Voodoo 5 (unlike the Voodoo 3), has a feature called FSAA, or Full Screen Anti-Aliasing, which essentially smooths out the jagged edges and image corruption found in games. This a great help for older Macs where running a game at the lowest resolution possible really speeds up performance, where with FSAA you can have a higher resolution's less jagged edges and nicer touch, with higher performance at a lower resolution. The Voodoo 5 is a really kick ass video card (still won't give the one in my G3 upgraded 8600).

The Voodoo 3 2000 or 3000 PCIs can be found at Pricewatch.com for $34-50 in most cases, while the Voodoo 5 is around $100 or so. Keep in mind you must also flash the Voodoo 3 card's ROM yourself on the Mac (very easy to do), while the Mac Voodoo 5 5500 PCI cards are mac compatible out of the box. I have a bunch of 3dfx drivers and utilities on my small page in my signature here. If you need the Voodoo 3 ROM flasher utility or anything, I would be glad to email the files to you. But the bottom line is, that if you are still using built in video, a Voodoo card will make a huge difference for you. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, only the Voodoo4/5s support 32bit color in games, whereas the Voodoo3s only support 16bit color (although I can't notice a difference between color on the Voodoo 3 and 5 cards, own them both, each looks excellent, much better than an ATI card IMHO).
------------------
ObsoleteMac
members.tripod.com/threedeefx/index.htm (http://www.members.tripod.com/threedeefx/index.htm)

[This message has been edited by Mactacular (edited 11 September 2001).]