PDA

View Full Version : DVD's on a 9600

Randallx
07-18-2001, 07:41 AM
Is there any way I can watch DVD movies on my 9600/500?

ChrisYip
07-18-2001, 07:53 AM
Hi...
Here's some info:

//www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?ezquest_dvd_mo.html

but - sounds like you might need a hardware decoder to get it to work well (or at all)..

Check this out as well:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/wired4dvd/ for more info...

Chris

dragon_x
07-18-2001, 10:55 AM
I think your best bet is to get an 'APPLE' SCSI DVD ROM drive and an ATI RAGE128 or RADEON. The RAGE128 is not easy to find esp new. The RADEON is faster for both 3D and should run DVDs better anyway.
http://WWW.phantomdrives.com/
You will want toclick on products and then the DVD-RAM/ROM option.
Looks like their only DVD-ROM is firewire, but you may want to call. They could ship you a bare bones version. I think they also have drivers and you might be able to get a WIRED card+DVDROM bundle.

You can run DVD movies off the hacked Apple DVD driver - at least in theory.

GL

EGPoulin
07-18-2001, 05:04 PM
Wow, sorry guys, I really need to finish my Mac DVD pages... (Hello all! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Been CRAZY over here)

Anyway, You will be able to watch DVD's with 4 additional components if you do not have them already:

1) ATI Rage 128 or better (inc. radeon) video card (this does NOT need to be the apple OEM one with the DVD Decoder built in as this is actually disabled in the newest version of Apple DVD Player. Everything is done in software) or an Nvidia (but I think that thoes are all AGP anyway).

2) SCSI DVD-Rom or DVD-Ram Drive. Personally I like the Pioneer line, but just about any name brand SCSI will do. (I don't have one to test, but I believe that most DVD-Ram's work as well)

3) a DVD Driver. Apple's CD/DVD will only work with apple drives. The contenders are hacked drivers (free, but questionable reliability), the now defunct Radialogic Drivers, or Intech CD/DVD Speed tools.

4) Apple DVD player 2.7 from their site and the hacks. (oh and tome viewer to extract the stuff)

Now I have a PowerTowerPro w/ 400MHz G3 and a Pioneer 10x/40x DVD-Rom and it works perfectly but I went through my share of problems... I have a Radeon card and love to watch them DVD's on the Mid-Sized TV!

I have a slew of utilities that will help you out in the long run and will be more than happy to share all of this with you if you want to try to make it work.

BTW, I got my Pioneer DVD (305s, the newest model) for $80 on E-Bay.

Keep up posted!

~~~Eric~~~
InnovativeDS@att.net

jorge
07-19-2001, 04:25 PM
According to Mike @ xlr8yourmac, the Wired4DVD board is awesome. He said he will never go back to software decoding.

The problem with the board is no OS X support.

I installed a DVDram in my B&W G3 with the hacked Apple drivers and it worked fine. Make sure you have an ATi board.

Have you guys noticed ATI has been cut totally off the G4 line? Only Nvidia boards now.

j

[This message has been edited by jorge (edited 19 July 2001).]

dragon_x
07-19-2001, 07:42 PM
In my brief experience with hardware DVD/MPEG2 decoding I also found it KILLER. This was way back when the first B&WG3s were rolling off the lines. The cool thing was a DVD playing in the background barely slowed the system down.

The thing is that with X (10.1) coming in september you wont NEED hardware decode anymore. I'm sure running an 867Mhz G4 will enable X to easily multi-task between apps and movies and other stuff. Even if the software isnt fully optimized that 867 is one fast BEAST.

Well ATI has not had the best track record. Their cards are good, but their drivers & software development is shakey at best. Maybe they are on permanent brain freeze in Canada? Probably not, but I wonder. ATI still has its video cards in the
iMac
iBook
PBTiG4
and I'm sure these WAY outsell the G4 towers....

Still it would be nice to see ATI RADEON PCI/AGP as a BTO option - if for nothing else than for a 2nd monitor. Maybe Apple couldnt get ATI drivers to play nice with nVidia drivers?

X doesnt seem to like my DUAL RADEON PCI setup in my YOSE http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe