PDA

View Full Version : Possible Solution for Installing X on beigeG3

dragon_x
03-07-2002, 10:08 PM
I only have a couple neglected GossamerG3's at work so I have not had much time to try this out. I did have issues installing X on a fairly stock system. It has an extra 256MB RAM, ix3D 8MB video and an extra HD. Any way there were issues...

A user I know was able to install X on his beige my making EVERYTHING stock. He has a PCI USB card, Firewire and Asante Ethernet along with 768MB of RAM. He took it ALL out and installed with the factory 64MB installed. It was slow as hell, but it work. Then he was able to reinstall all his new hardware. The RAM, USB and Firewire were automatically recognized and supported. He was able to get X drivers out for his Enet card. Not sure what he had for video. Anybody else have to do this to get X to work?

I am waiting for a 10.1 CD since I think its a little more tolerant and halfway intelligent about how it installs. But this is only a hope of mine... and lack of time.

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

TZ
03-07-2002, 11:34 PM
I've heard the same over on xlr8yourmac - but I'm not sure 10.1 is easier. I think some were able to with 10.0 but then it is a matter of having a full 10.1 or the updater, and if they did a clean install or not. I hadn't read of someone removing the upgraded RAM and doing it with 64MB though! slow CDs, slow hdd (even the external 5MB/s) and having an adapter on the internal video but still able to use a pci video card.

I wonder if bringing the RAM down to what was the 'limit' originally, say 512MB would have been enough?

There use to be talk on the Darwin Dev list of trying to get better support for all the beige users.

Gregory

Diq
03-08-2002, 12:05 AM
I don't know if this will help or not, but I recently (December) installed OS 10.1 on my beige G3 All-in-One. The only modifications to my system when I installed it were:

Ram to 416
Stock Video to 6 Megs
Added 30GB hard Drive (explained below)

I installed 10.1 on the new HD which I initialized with the X CD. It installed with no problems. At the time I was running 8.6, but I had to install 9.2 before X. Only after installing 10.1 did I start to have any troubles. Now my stock CD-ROM drive is no longer bootable with X. It still boots my 8 and 9.2 CDs but not X. Don't know if this confirms or goes against your "Stock Hardware" theory, but thought I should mention it.

Diq

TZ
05-06-2002, 09:38 AM
I went out and actually bought a beige just to test with. pulled the stock IDE CDROM and replaced with the 32x unit from B&W G3.
It will install to SCSI off 2940u2b but not restart to finish the Startup Assistant. Installs and reboots fine though if I use the OEM 4GB IDE drive or 40GB Deskstar 60GXP. RAM is 512MB PC100. No video card (have trouble getting it to use the ATI Rage 128 OEM from B&W).

I use System Disk 3.3.1 to switch between OS X and 9.2.2. Didn't even try using the SDCP 9.2.3 (which is on the OS X 10.1 CD but not copied or installed to the hdd oddly enough).

Why would I do this? buy beige? I thought I had a hardware problem in my B&W, hoped to have dual G4's from XLR8 to run 9.2.2 and OS X eventually, and waiting for newer DDR G4+ Macs to arrive - so I can pick up a QS/933 or something on the cheap http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gregory