PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Burn

dragon_x
03-17-2002, 08:41 PM
I have a QS/867 and anytime I put a CD or DVD in to burn - it asks what format I want and the name of the disk and then it ejects it. This seems to have started as soon as I attached a Q! Firewire CD burner. Both the Q burner and my SuperDrive do the same thing. The Q! drive can even be off and this will happen. The strange thing is burning from iTunes works fine.

My plan - reboot X and have the Q! drive powered up on startup. See if that works.
My plan B - boot into classic. Install Toast 5.1.2 for X and see if that works.
My plan C - pull my hair out http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

Maybe some KText driver is messed up?

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

ricks
03-17-2002, 11:03 PM
drag,

I had similar issues until I started burning with Toast again. I didn't even have a Q. Toast is petty awesome. Hope it solves it for you.

Rick

dragon_x
03-17-2002, 11:50 PM
I just noticed something very, very strange.

My Q drive shows up on the firewire bus as this -
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>QBP-2 Bridge
Vendor ID: 1f3
Speed: 400 Mb/sec
GUID: 127746d
Vendor name: QPS
Unit version: 66691<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it also shows up on the USB bus - as a 'mouse'
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>MacALLY (CD-R PX-W1210A)
Apple disc burning:Supported
Product ID: 8208 ($2010): Macally USB One Button Mouse
Vendor: Vendor 8738 <QPS>
Driver version: Not available
Driver name: Not available
Power (mA): 100 ($64)
Release number: 80.0<1.05>
Serial number:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF!
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

Byron
03-31-2002, 06:27 PM
dragon_x, I just hope the "something" strange you reported is one of the bugs in ASP because I've been getting the same kind of thing on my G4 450 AGP (sorry, can't quote because I'm booted in 9). I just got a Pioneer DVR-104 in a FirewireDirect case -- it shows up on the USB bus in the same "block" as my Rainbow USB Sentinel (#^@% Quark Xpress, but that's a different story). Also shows on the firewire bus as an "external DVD burner", with the same kind of info you got there. But it is DiskBurner supported and I could install iDVD.

WTF indeed!

And a BTW -- anyone else not able to print a report from ASP? I always get an "application's kind resource is missing" error.

Oh yeah -- Toast 5.1.2 works great for me (no coasters here, which is not good for my physical desktop).

dragon_x
03-31-2002, 10:53 PM
I wonder if ASP could be the issue? That would be strange, but maybe other apps and process's use that info and if its FUBAR, well then problems will happen. I hear there is a 'beta' around that might fix the 'issue' - at least maybe with ASP.

I would guess TOAST uses its own info for what it can and can not burn/write to - like iTunes. This was not an issue with just the stock drive... I have only had this type of issue with the external FW attached. Apple does have some work to do on X but overall I like it.

Quark - well they couldnt have released 5 at any worse a time - at least on the Mac side. I hear it is fairly bug free and more oriented to WEB - much better than the release of 4, from what I've heard. Still with Adobe having nearly all their apps carbonized and running in X natively you gotta wonder how much this is going to hurt them. Hopefully they will release a sturdy, stable version of Express for X soon - in the next 6 to 9 months. I saw a Corel Graphics presentation in X - it was pretty impressive.

One issue where it seems X is worst is its printing - or lack of it. Maybe I dont understand things as I should, but the PPD files do not seem to be the same. I can actually print out better from classic (within X) than from X (or X native) apps themselves. My office uses network printers so I know that makes things more complex, but 9 works with this setup and its a breeze. It seems that local printing is easier but printing is way harder than it needs to be in X. This is probably the single biggest issue with X in Apple's core DTP market. Even IF Express is native it wont do much good if the designers can not print & proof it.