PDA

View Full Version : OS X admin privileges not working?!

becca
03-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Hello, I am running OS X 10.1.3 and I just downloaded Maya PLE (finally)

When I try to install it from the Vise Installer I get an alert statement saying that I need "administrator privileges or higher to install". Then there is an okay button that does nothing. But whenever I boot up and login to my Mac I am the Administrator.

I only have one login name and its the root. Am I missing something here? Or what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time.

ChrisYip
03-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Actually - there's one more level above the standard administrator, under OS X - Apple hid it on you.

You can "su" (SuperUser) into that level from terminal but not sure how you do it from the Aqua interface...

So one option - open a terminal window, log in as superuser and then try to install from there. No idea if that's really what the problem is though - perhaps some other option needs to be enabled for PLE to be installed...

Chris

ricks
03-14-2002, 11:42 PM
Hey Becca,

I apologize ahead of time if I mention something that you have already tried. When your running your installer and it says you have insufficient privileges have you 'clicked the lock to make changes' at the bottom of that window? If not, that is what the installer is waiting for you to do.

Rick

TZ
03-15-2002, 10:17 AM
If you login as root, then you never have to unlock those installers. But maybe some aren't written properly anyway <chuckle>

I know it feels more like OS 9, like it really is your system and not some ghost that controls and 'lets you' if you are nice play with it, but using root full time might be risky.

Did you use Netinfo Manager to Enable Root when you setup your root account? That I assume is what you wanted and did. In which case... I stumped why.

Gregory

ricks
03-15-2002, 11:55 AM
bcca,

One other thing, logging in as admin is not the same as logging in as root. If you boot from your OSX installer disk and launch the password utility you can create a name' root' and a password and then you'll have root access. Probably best not to make it the same as your admin or user ID so you don't make root access mistakes by mistake.

Then, when you want to loggin as root, under the Apple choose LOGOUT, then replace your user name in the loggin window that you get next and you can loggin as root.

You will never see root as a 'user' option in loggin windows, you have to type it in everytime.

Rick

Diq
03-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Hey becca, another method of activating the 'root' user is through the 'netinfo manager' a process that was explained in detail to me in this thread:
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000122.html

hope it helps at all...

Diq

becca
03-29-2002, 02:35 AM
Thank you very much. all your responses helped. you were right about admin not necessarily being the root. I switched logins with admin privileges and it worked.

thanks again,
becca