PDA

View Full Version : does osx fix slave drive issue on revA beige G3?

jeffc
02-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Wondering if I still need to get a revB rom to allow a slave drive to work on a revA G3 MT with OSx.

Also will it recognize the ATI Rage Orion?

thanks for the help all.

ricks
02-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi Jeff,

Unfortunatley the ROM is the very first thing to load, even before the OS. The OS is the one that's dependent on the ROM and not the other way around.

The ROM is what tells the hardware how to behave, so you'll have to either change the rom, or just as easy, install an ATA66 or ATA100 PCI card. Your PCI card will then support slaves with no problem.

As to the Orion, I don't think you'll have any problem with that. It runs the same drivers as all the rest of the Rage 128 series graphics cards, including the factory version that hopefully is supported. (this comes into doubt sometimes with the poblems that Apple seems to have supporting the Beige G3)

Rick

jzkpr
02-20-2002, 12:19 PM
thanks for the info.... the final question i guess then what is the easiest place to find a revB rom and how pricey are they?

best regards

ricks
02-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Uh-oh, no idea on price. icni.com will probably have them though.
Rick

dragon_x
02-20-2002, 04:01 PM
I have had issues with 10.0 on REVB BeigeG3 Macs. I need a 10.1 full install disk!

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

The Cost of Tyranny...

bif
02-20-2002, 07:13 PM
I speak from experience, although your mileage will vary, professional driver on closed track, I have a rev 1 B&W G3 and I think the cheapest option is the ATA/66 card right here on the gurus site. we bought an entire logic board and replaced it and now the machine is a rev 2 and the drive issue is gone, but the board cost about $200 on ebay. however, this was necessary because the sound was fried. we did have it recognizing two drives, back when it was rev 1, the original 13GB and a powerbook drive in an adapter sled when we were using OS9, but when we upgraded to OSX, it didn't work. Never tried the ROM idea, but xlr8yourmac.com has lots of drive reports with success using the ATA/66 or ATA/100 PCI cards to solve the problem.

dragon_x
02-21-2002, 08:46 PM
I think one issue with the REVA Macs is that they can also be VERY PICKEY about the drive(s) you install. So even if you can force the computer to run with dual drives on one channel it may only work in X or 9 or neither or both and then it could be unstable 6 months down the road http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

Better safe than sorry

TZ
02-22-2002, 02:53 PM
having OS X and OS 9 on the first >8GB partition is probably the most important. If you need another "working" OS 9.x for non-Classic that too would need to be in the first 8GB or could be on slave if you can find ROMs but OS X doesn't like being on slave drives for some reason. (changes the default boot-device path and why it cares who knows?) but... the biggest "obstacle" seems to be that Apple prefers later Open Firmware and the "ROM in RAM" approach.

Gregory