PDA

View Full Version : Video Card for 9500/G3/500 OSX?

Chandler
02-07-2002, 01:28 PM
Last month I installed OS X on my 9500 with help from the good folks here at Macgurus -- thanks! I am Linux native, not especially fond of Windows, and find OS X much more fun, usefull and better than I would have ever imagined. Highlights are that it has never crashed except for the kernal panic when I installed it, and the iPhoto application which I got free for the downloading.

The low point is that my video card is too slow under X. My video card is the OEM Mach64 video card which came with the computer. I want to install the best one that will run on my machine, but glean from the web that there are problems with many of the cards. Anyone out there have recomendations?

billbo
02-07-2002, 08:58 PM
I'm not that far yet, but I do have the same, slow-ass Mach 64 card on my G3/9-500.

It seems that ATI will honor a trade up to their new 7500 card (check out their site for more info), but I have no clue as to how well it works with X.

You might want to jump over to Breedens' http://xlr8yourmac.com/ and search around and see if anybody has anything for you

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

ricks
02-07-2002, 11:15 PM
Bill,
Just what I've heard (or read) schlepping around is that the RadeonPCI mac edition so far has few detractors. I have one in my B&W that is working perfectly with OSX, ditto for my brother and his OSX/9500. Only reason to go with the new 7K ATI would be multi monitor support, even ATI concedes the RadeonPCI is faster.

Just my 2 computer statistical sample.

Rick

Chandler
02-07-2002, 11:58 PM
ricks,

I have read that OSX crashes upon bootup on old world machines sporting Radeon cards. I'm not sure I know the real differences between RadeonPCI and the Radeon 7000 available from ATI's web site though; anyone have any other knowledge to share?

ICCAFSN
02-08-2002, 02:15 AM
The Radeon PCI is probably the ONLY way to go - not because it's the best of it's class, but because it's the only one in the class. I can think of only a few cards that work in OS X on an unsupported machine (built-in video & the ixMicro Ultimate Rez are 2 that come to mind) but fat chance of ever seeing accelerated video drivers for either of them. The Radeon 7000 would be great if it worked under OS X on older Macs, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that it ever will.

I am quite interested in the comment of the Radeon PCI being faster than the 7000 - Ricks, can you elaborate? Also can anyone tell me if the Radeon PCI is actually accelerated under OS X when installed in a pre-beige G3 Mac?

ricks
02-08-2002, 03:46 AM
IC..........
The original press release for the 7000 stated that the 7000 had a faster clock tick in it but that the Radeon was more powerful with more features. At this point, since I am virtually illiterate in the esoteric functions of graphic acceleration architecture I don't remember the technical descriptions of the missing stuff. I'll look for the release for you because stuff leaves a little to be desired.

Rick

Chandler
02-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Looks like the ATI Radeon PCI has it, if I understand correctly: no boot problems under OS X on old world machines? The cheaper Radeon 7000 is the one I should stear clear of. Thanks for your help.

ICCAFSN
02-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Chandler,
From my readings, while the Radeon PCI works well in pre-G3 Macs, the card is not quite plug-and-play. Apparently, you have to install updated ATI drivers into your OS X installation first and then install the card - otherwise the card won't work.

Rick,
I have a few questions about your brother's setup - Radeon PCI using OSX on 9500. Did he have to install the drivers like I mentioned above? Under OS X, does he have accelerated graphics when using the Radeon PCI? How are 3-D tasks on his computer (e.g. Open-GL games/screensavers)?

I had been waiting on buying a video card for my 8500, but now that it's known that the Radeon 7000 is having problems with beige Macs, I'm thinking about picking up a Radeon PCI.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 08 February 2002).]