PDA

View Full Version : OS X & Powerbook G3

bif
01-15-2002, 09:22 AM
I am trying to install OSX on a powerbook G3 (wallstreet model) with 128mb ram and a 12gb apple rom HD that was removed from a powerbook firewire. The OSX install disc goes through all the motions and when it gets to the select destination disc dialogue it doesn't show the HD, only the install CD, which is greyed out. any ideas.
ps. I had OSX installed on this machine with the original 8gb HD and had to replace the HD when it seemed to fail. the machine will not boot anymore with the original 8gb drive installed. I booted with the OSX CD and the 8gb drive and the drive showed in the select disc dialogue, but greyed out like the install CD.
thanks.

bif
01-15-2002, 12:25 PM
boy do i feel sheepish. even the apple site had the answer to my problem, right out in plain view! sometimes i think that the cowboy-yahhoo mentality i display goes too far.
the OSX installer must see a partition no larger than 8 gigs to recognize the disc and install. i partitioned the drive - one 2 gig for OSX and about 9 gigs for the rest - with OS 9 and am happily installing OSX and the 10.1 update. no problems so far.

dragon_x
01-16-2002, 11:36 PM
I thought that was onlyl an issue on the beigeG3's (gossamer) and similar boards.

Strange.

bif
01-17-2002, 07:13 AM
Nope. here's the link http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106235
says some iMacs as well.
no big deal, once you know.