PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't Boot Anymore in OSX

MarkS
01-13-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi,

Have been using OSX 10.1.2 for over a month fine until the other morning...
now Mac starts, I see little Mac icon and colored spinning wheel and then screen goes black and then when screen brightens up again all I see is gray. Nothing happens after that.

I can boot into MacOS 9.2.2 OK.

Tried starting in single user mode and did 'fsck -y' command. It checked hard drive and said it appears OK.

Ran DiskWarrior from OS9 and replaced directories (was told at MacWorld that this was OK by Alsoft person there).

The only thing I can think of that I changed in OSX the other day was I used app called BatChmod to change access privileges so I could get some apps to install that wouldn't install (got error messages saying access denied).

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Mark

hardware configuration:

Beige G3 with XLR8 G4/500 & ATI Nexus128 card, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB IBMGXP Drive (8GB partition w/OSX10.1.2 & 48 GB partition), Cheetah drive w/ATTO UL3 card

PCI cards installed:

ATI Nexus128, ATTO UL3 card, OrangeMicro FW/USB card

lasvegas
01-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Darn! It sounds like your Quartz or Login aps are hosed! I cant think of any way to cure this other than a re-install. It might be possible to exchange the appropriate files or /etc settings from the install disk, but you would need advice from someone much more knowledgeable in Darwin than I.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 13 January 2002).]

MarkS
01-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Hi LasVegas,

Thanks for the reply.

Hope I don't have to reinstall....but If I have to reinstall, is there an easy way to do this?

I only have OSX 10.1 upgrade CD, so would I have to go back to 10.04 CD and then apply updates?

Would I lose anything I've installed?

Thanks,

Mark

TZ
01-13-2002, 11:37 PM
First, try using the stand alone 10.1.2 combined update. It will run and it will repair some stuff. I couldn't live with the update CD and went for another full copy though I read you can burn a modified installer. But I think that's a pain. Having OS X on two drives is one strategy that helps a lot.

I wish Alsoft had Disk Warrior X ready - we need it!

Gregory

MarkS
01-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Hi Gregory,

Thanks for the reply to my post!

Just need a little clarification on your post....

Are you saying I should download the 10.1.2 combined update from Apple?

Then what? Since I can't boot OSX now How/where would I run it from??

Thanks,

Mark

MarkS
01-15-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi again,

Well, I broke down and just reinstalled OSX....all's well again with OSX more or less...

I setup myself as admin but still getting error message about access privileges regarding installing software....

Mark

ChrisYip
01-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Apple's has that admin level and then root level access. It was my understanding that the OS X "admin" level is actually not quite the same as "root" so you might need to "sudo" in to install some stuff (might be the problem)

Chris.

ricks
01-15-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi ya Mark
You probably already know this but,....
When you run an installer that shows the lock at the bottom "click to lock changes" you need to click on that each time to log on as Administrator.

Also,
You can insert a OSX install disk, when you get the first window up in the OSX installer your menu bar has a pull down selection that allows you to set privileges including root. Then you can quit the installer.

EDIT NOTE:Above I meant that you need to boot from the install disk and boot back to your system when done. R

I also had some problems with privileges and had to reset root to fix it.

One thing I noticed with the reset passwords on the CD thing: It appears that this can be done at this time to any computer running OSX. All you'd need to do to reset the password is run the installer CD. I am no security or OSX expert but it appears to be a pretty big hole in security. I admit I could be missing something that prevents this but I can't think of anything offhand.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 15 January 2002).]

MarkS
01-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi ChrisYip & ricks,

Thanks for the info and clarifications!

I think part of the problem is that Mac oldtimers like me (started w/SE in '86) are so used to the old MacOS that it's just going to take some time to really get acquainted with OSX in the same way.

Slowly, the picture is getting clearer though....

Thanks,

Mark

ChrisYip
01-16-2002, 12:29 AM
Hi

Actually - I think that's what the reviews have been saying about OS X - if you are new to the Mac, you aren't faced with legacy knowledge so in fact it's an easier adoption path...

I too am from the SE SE/30, heck - back to the Apple II+ using a cassette tape era...

Chris

ricks
01-16-2002, 01:03 AM
You guys sure got me beat, I still have my first mac, a hand me down 2CI, fully populated with 24megs of ram I might add, Whoa doggy!

I'm lucky that I have my neighbor, who's also my brother and works for Apple to boot. He's the UNIX pro and a life saver for me and OSX. Only problem is he's a UNIX pro...............................

Rick

lasvegas
01-16-2002, 04:52 AM
Sorry I wasn't around to contribute here. My cable company has been having fun bringing me down just as I get started almost every day this week! Took me over 2 hours to get online tonight!

BTW: My original Apple ][ (serial # below 2000) is out in the garage. It's a George Washington's ax though... The keyboard's only been replaced twice and the motherboard once.