PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3 and OS X

joefilms
01-07-2002, 04:35 PM
I have a G3 233 w/768mg Ram, 6 gig HD, ATI 16 rage card, USB card. Currently on
OS 9.0.4 Some apps won't work after that. (bummer)
want to install OS X,

any forseeable problems I should be aware of? Anything I need to get/do b4
I install? I don't know much about OS X, so I'm going to Apple store tonight.
Want to install Maya 3.5. Any help would be great, if I need it.
thanks in advance
joe

lasvegas
01-07-2002, 11:07 PM
If you're installing OS X on an IDE drive on the built-in IDE bus, it must be installed on a partition entirely within the first 8GB of the drive. If you want Classic mode you also need to install a minimum of Mac OS 9.1 either on the OS X partition or on another within the same 8GB area.

joefilms
01-08-2002, 05:29 PM
So, in order to install classic, I need to have 2 partitions of 8 gig or less?
I have an IDE drive of 60gig. I currently have main drive of less than 8 gig w/OS X on it, one drive of 24ish gigs w/9.2.1 and one soon to have 24ish gig w/9.0.4. Is this going to be alright?
thanks again
joe

p.s.-if I want to install classic on same drive as OS X, do I install it after OS X? How?
j

[This message has been edited by joefilms (edited 08 January 2002).]

lasvegas
01-09-2002, 04:21 AM
The rule of thumb is that all Systems should be on the first 8GB of a drive. This only applies to the built-in IDE port. Any drives on a supported PCI card (Either IDE or SCSI) does not have the 8GB rule. My personal experience has been that only OS X absolutely has to be entirely in the first 8GB of the drive.

p.s.-if I want to install classic on same drive as OS X, do I install it after OS X? How?

This is perfectly fine. If you're installing Mac OS 9.1 or later, you can install before or after installing X. There are no conflicts between the two. If you're installing Mac OS 9.0 and then upgrading to 9.1 or higher, you either want to do this before installing OS X, or temporarily rename OS X's Applications folder until the 9.x update is installed. Then rename it back.

joefilms
01-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks, man! you the best!

joe

joefilms
01-11-2002, 12:21 PM
my next question is this:
Beige G3 is now running OS X. want to save small file on floppy drive.
drive disk wont show up. Anyone have a solution, or do I reformat drive, or do
I just stick with saving onto zip?
thanks
joe

Diq
01-11-2002, 08:11 PM
I am also running X off of a Beige G3 and ran into the same problems with the disk drive. As far as I can understand, X does not recognize the disk drive with the Beige model. I'm not sure of the reasoning, but thats what I hear. The only way around this I've found is to start in 9.1 and do your copy's from there.

Hope this helps,
Diq

lasvegas
01-12-2002, 04:51 AM
Dig's right. There are no drivers in OS X to support built-in floppy drives. The only solution is to use a USB floppy drive or a Zip drive.

chrismenke
01-12-2002, 06:14 AM
The great part about this floppy thing...in the 'Power Of X' presentation I went to at MacWorld on Tuesday, there was a big slide listing all the media/filesystems Mac OSX supports. Top of the list was Floppy!