PDA

View Full Version : Installing on an Original Power Macintosh G3

ICCAFSN
12-08-2001, 07:59 AM
From Mac OS X's Readme files
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Installing on an Original Power Macintosh G3

If you install Mac OS X on a PowerBook G3 Series Computer that does not have USB, an original Power Macintosh G3 (Beige), or a Rev. B, Rev. C, or Rev D iMac, be sure to install Mac OS X on a disk partition that is completely within the first 8 GB of the disk. If your hard disk is larger than 8 GB and it is not partitioned or the first partition is larger than 8 GB, you must reformat and partition your disk so that the first partition is smaller than 8 GB.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My question is: Does the above restriction apply to a beige G3 if you are installing on a SCSI disk? Or does the above problem apply only to ATA/IDE drives on these computers?

lasvegas
12-11-2001, 05:59 AM
The problem only applies to those machine's IDE ports. It does not apply to SCSI.

TZ
12-11-2001, 06:53 AM
But the iMac Rev a-d use IDE and how could the architecture of SCSI bypass the ability to find the boot loader in the first 8GB? And the invisible partitions are part of the 8GB.

I've seen where OS X will 'shorten' a volume to insert its own driver kit at the end of the drive or volume and if so, on a 40GB IDE drive I'd think that would matter. And I was using a 9GB (actually more like 8GB) SCSI Atlas 10k II. 8GB formatted and 7.4GB after setting up OS X.

8GB was the limit. Just as Windows had a 32MB volume addressing problem. Or 128GB is today. Or an SE/30 and 7.1 could not address more than 128MB RAM. Or 1000MB address space for one application. Hard coded limits.

If the system file system 'moves' out of the 8GB area you could end up with needing to optimize to move the system or it will only show the "?" on boot and fail.

Having separate volumes makes it easy of course to "fix" OS X by erasing and reinstalling, especially as Apple makes it near impossible to reinstall/update once you've got 10.1.1 and other updates applied.

Apple has a lot of work to do to make installing process a lot smoother. Backup of OS X filesystem, uninstall 10.1.1, etc.

I understand 10.1.2 is due out and 10.2 update CD at MWSF.

lasvegas
12-11-2001, 08:24 PM
The 8MB limit on those select IDE systems is a hardware limitation of the IDE components. It does not apply to SCSI drives or IDE drives attached to PCI IDE cards. I always suggest to those using large IDE drives on those systems to setup the first partition as 8000MB leaving a 192MB gap (more than enough!) for driver partitions and such.

I aggree that reinstallation is a pain with OS X. The same problems exist with Linux, Darwin and BSD as well for the same reasons. I keep backups of all my installers and the OS 9.2.1 System Folder on CDs to make it easier to reinstall if I need to.