PDA

View Full Version : Installing OSX

Lillian Schafer
12-07-2001, 04:18 PM
I have tried to install OSX many times. The icon appears in the top left of the screen, turns & turns and nothing happens. I do not undestand installing OSX on the same disk or disk partition as OS9. Could this be the problem?

tm311
12-07-2001, 07:29 PM
can be more specific in regards to what computer and what hardware?

Lillian Schafer
12-10-2001, 11:41 AM
a Power G3 Blue & White with extra memory and OS 9.1

TZ
12-10-2001, 12:53 PM
Have you looked at the "Before you Install" on the OS X CD? (10.1 I assume which is current version). OS 9.1 or later (9.2.1 or 9.2.2) is required. OS X needs at least 2GB of disk space. Memory requirements to run OS X: 128MB just to install and boot. 256MB for anything more. And at $39 for 256MB RAM no reason there not to add more if possible.

If you have not added any hardware to your setup, you should of course be safe.

If you have not backed up your files to another disk drive, now might be a good time to do so or invest in backup storage.

It should be okay to install both to the same volume. You can use the Apple System Profiler (under Apple Menu) to generate a text report and have a full listing of hardware, drives, etc.

If there is any non-Apple video card(s), SCSI card, etc those might be worth looking at.

There are links on MacFixit and MacIntouch on OS X to special reports. I think www.versiontracker.com (http://www.versiontracker.com) maintains a link to installing, etc. Also, www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) has special upgrade info on Blue & White and any hardware, special concerns, and OS X, as well.

OS X is 'less forgiving' of improper SCSI setups, RAM that isn't up to spec also. I ended up replacing all the memory ($100 bought 512MB+ which is less than what 64MB once cost).

I'm sure someone can help you further - just keep posting what's going on.

Gregory

lasvegas
12-11-2001, 06:01 AM
Also, what PCI cards do you have installed? Try holding down Command-V for a verbose boot that will let you know what's holding up your boot process.