PDA

View Full Version : DVD in 10.1 on Beige G3 (and others)

hubba bubba
10-15-2001, 02:24 AM
xlr8yourmac.com had an article a couple days ago about hacking the DVD player in 10.1 to work on older hardware decoding DVD machines. It involves using a hex editor to change the 'accepted' machine IDs in the DVD Player.app to make it think it's running on a compatible machine. You need to boot into open firmware (cmd, opt, O, F) to get your machine ID (looks something like PowerMac X.X X,X, etc). Naturally I can't get either of my Beige G3's to boot into OF. Can anyone do it and post the machine ID? TIA.

chrismenke
10-15-2001, 02:36 AM
Have you tried using UnsupportedUtilityX to boot into OF with your keyboard and monitor selected as input and output device?

hubba bubba
10-15-2001, 08:23 PM
Isn't that just for computers that don't support OS X on their own? This is a beige G3.

lasvegas
10-16-2001, 12:56 AM
You should be able to get into OpenFirmware by connecting your display to the built-in video and use an ADB keyboard. If you really want to continue using a PCI video card, you can modify OpenFirmware's parameters with BootVars (ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/ftp/osx_stuff/bootvars1.3b%20Folder)

1) Go to Apple's System Profiler (Under your Apple menu) and note your Display card's Card Name. (IE: ATY,Rage128o)

2) Open BootVars and check All Variables.

3) Change Input-Device to read: kbd

4) Change Output-Device to read: pci/<CARD NAME> IE: pci/ATY,Rage128o

5) Click the Write button.

Now, when you enter Command-Option-O-F, it will display through your Display Card. If you choose to uncheck Auto-Boot, your computer will always go into OpenFirmware. You will have to enter "boot" or "bye" each time to continue booting. To turn Auto-Boot back on within OpenFirmware type the following:

????> setenv auto-boot? true
????> reset-all

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 16 October 2001).]

RedPhoenix
10-16-2001, 08:38 AM
For those who have B&W G3s with hardware decoder cards, take a look at:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/applesauce57us

That copy of the DVD player has been hacked and it works great on my B&W G3/400. This hacked version is supposed to work with almost any Rage128 card

RP

hubba bubba
10-16-2001, 12:57 PM
I'll give it a whirl and let you know, thanks.

Kenners0107
10-19-2001, 09:00 PM
If your beige G3 came with hardware DVD decoder, thats great, but the Apple DVD player v3 that comes with X is a software player, not hardware. The hacked version listed at applesauce57us DOES WORK on my beige G3, but only because I have a Rage 128 or better chipset video card (I have a Radeon) and a DVD drive (not a stock one--Its a Toshiba CDRW/DVD-ROM drive). The onboard video won't work with any of Apple's hacked software decode DVD players. If you can't get the file, or its not there anymore, I kept a copy & can send it to you.

I about pulled all my hair out trying to find the Powermac ID thing in Open Firmware.. Never did, much less have any success using a hex editor to fiddle with the DVD player...

later!

hubba bubba
10-21-2001, 11:09 AM
I looked, the file's gone. I couldn't get into open firmware on either of my Beige G3s. I have a Xclaim VR 128 and a Hitachi DVD drive...works fine hacked under OS 9. If you could get me that file somehow I'd appreciate it. If it's small enough you could email I guess...I also have a Hotline server at 24.10.101.26. You could upload it there.

thanks a bunch

RedPhoenix
10-22-2001, 11:52 AM
Gimme a yell through my e-mail addy (in my prefs) and I'll mail it to you.

hubba bubba
10-23-2001, 08:53 PM
Doesn't work. 'This machine configuration not supported'. Anyone else have any luck?

hubba bubba
12-03-2001, 02:21 AM
Works now with the new DVD update from Apple. Instructions are on xlr8yourmac.com. Download the standalone installer from Apple. In OS X, remove the '.pkg' extension from the file. Boot into OS 9. Browse to DVDUpdate\contents\resources and remove the 'InstallCheck' file. Then boot into OSX and add the '.pkg' extension back (it might already be there), double click and install the DVD Player. As long as you have a Rage 128/Radeon it should work. I tried all of the other work arounds and this is the only one that has worked. So easy too! Plays flawlessly with the Matrix and some Neon Genesis: Evangelion disks so far. Seems to be an extra set of black bars across the top and bottom in addition to the normal ones, which is annoying, but the system response while playing DVDs is wonderful. You can move the controller around, access menus and even watch in a window while doing other things without much, if any, slowdown.