PDA

View Full Version : Dual Displays+Screen Saver=Nasty

Bigfat
11-03-2001, 10:03 AM
My sexy Beach screen saver(And all the others) are extremly laggy when I run it on two displays at once. Anyone found a fix for this?

dragon_x
11-13-2001, 12:07 PM
What video cards are you running?

I have dual radeons installed at home and have not noticed any slow down in screen saving. I had an ix3D 8M PCI installed in my G4/466 @ work and that REALLY slowed the screen saver down.

I was able to play two high res videos full screen - one in each RADEON display. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lasvegas
11-13-2001, 04:50 PM
dragon's right. Any non-accelerated video card will slow down OS X to a crawl. ATI cards also have full acceleration in X.

dragon_x
11-15-2001, 05:57 PM
I just confirmed - my dual RADEON PCI setup runs the screen saver fine. I think you need an ATI RAGE128 or better for any kind of acceleration. I do not think the older ATI cards accelerate X.

I did not run the screen saver much on my works system when the ix3D was running- it was painfully slow. I have not tried it with 10.1 though.

Its pretty impressive video speed - considering there are not any cards optimized to accelearate Quartz 2D.

------------------
To boldly go where no english professor has gone before! -)

Bigfat
11-24-2001, 01:45 AM
Radeon on my main external display, Rage Pro in powering the othe internal display(All in one G3). On both monitors its laggy, it seems smooth on the Radeon monitor until the other one kicks in. I'm using 10.1.1 now and it still persists, no screen savers look good on either of the monitors(ok, they look good , but they're like 1 frame per 3 seconds). Any fixes? I dunno if its just the Rage Pro doing it, it might be just a processing issue?

------------------
--bigfat

dragon_x
11-24-2001, 03:37 AM
The prime suspect is your built-in video. This ATI RAGE is the old 64bit variety - IIRC. It will lag. Not sure if you can disconnect the internal display OR use a PCI video to drive it. I'm sure you could... but I think some serious hacking is in order. Apple first put the RAGE128's in the old Blue&White (YosemiteG3) so anything earlier with built-in video will be S L O W