PDA

View Full Version : OSX installs on 9500, reboots, but X won't reboot after 9.1 boot

ricercar
11-19-2001, 04:03 PM
Boo hiss

I"ve installed 10.0.3 on a 9500 using RR's Unsupported Utility, upgrading to 10.0.4 smoothly with numerous reboots. Yet after rebooting into 9.1 on another physical drive, I can't reboot back into OSX, not matter how often I visit the StartupDrive cp. I don't want to re-install 10.0.3 again every time I want to play in X. Anyone see this behavior before?

Even removing the system file from all non-OSX folders, the 9500 won't reboot into OSX. There is just a grey screen with no happy/unhappy mac with no change for over seven minutes (longest test so far).

9500/xlr8 G3-400/864M RAM
OSX.0.4 on Sonnet Tempo ATA66 controller/Connor ATA100 drive
OS 9.1 on internal SCSI-II HP drive

Note: The 9500 has a MilesII card with no drives connected. I noted some forum threads regarding MilesII firmware and X. Could the MilesII cause the grey screen even after allowing OSX reboots previous to the OS9 boot?

------------------
ricercar

my free 9500 is nickel-and-diming me to death!

chrismenke
11-19-2001, 05:14 PM
Try this:

Remove all other SCSI devices from the chain, and listen to the drive with X on it.

I had a hauntingly similar problem, but figured out that even though my HD was jumpered correctly, it wasn't accessible at startup, when my ATTO reset the bus.

Very odd...

lasvegas
11-19-2001, 05:57 PM
Ricecar: Don't use Startup Drive to select the Mac OS X drive. It does not properly setup the OpenFirmware in your machine. Instead, use Unsupported UtilityX to select the drive. Also, from OS X, to boot back into OS 9 from your regular OS 9 drive, use the Option key on Power-up or Restart. This system works well in that the Boot Drive never actually gets changed. OS X is booted via a script in OpenFirmware and the Option key just bypasses that routine to boot the previously set boot drive.

This technique also allowed me to install OS 9.2.1 on the OS X drive for use within OS X to avoid causing problems with my regular OS 9.1 System Folder.

ricercar
11-19-2001, 09:23 PM
You guys are fantastic. I can't wait to try out your suggestions.

[later]

Had to disconnect all drives, (reset PRAM,) and reboot from 9.1, but afterwards I was able to reboot into 10.0.4 using RR's UnsupportedOSX utility 1.1. Silly me; I thought that utility was for only installation. Now I know better.

I'm very glad for the support forums, and buy gear at MacGurus in major part because of the fantastic support here.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 21 November 2001).]

lasvegas
11-21-2001, 03:55 PM
ricercar: Update to Unsupported UtilityX 2.0 (ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/ftp/osx_stuff/UnsupportedUtilityX/UnsupportedUtilityX2.0.img). When you run it the first time, select to Reinstall both Extensions and BootX from the Advanced menu. Be sure to do this before updating OS X to 10.1 and 10.1.1. You can do each update through the Update Software component of OS X's Preferences panel.