PDA

View Full Version : Problem Upgrading OSX 10.0.3 to OSX 10.1 on Beige G3

MarkS
11-12-2001, 11:04 PM
Hi,

Finally managed to get OSX 10.0.3 installed on my Beige G3 (upgraded to G4/500).

Used XLR8's Startup Control Panel in OS9 to select OSX CD and it allowed me to boot off of OSX CD. Install went fine.

However, now having problem being able to use OSX 10.1 Upgrade CD to install OSX 10.1.

Am I supposed to boot off of the OSX 10.1 upgrade CD to do installation of upgrade? If so, my Beige G3 won't boot off of it.

Any suggestions as to right install procedure??

Thanks for any help!

Mark

dragon_x
11-13-2001, 12:03 PM
Am I supposed to boot off of the OSX 10.1 upgrade CD to do installation of upgrade?
Yes. I have heard that you can delete some files off the 10.1 UPDATE CD (via burner software) and then boot off that disk and do a FULL INSTALL http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Not sure if that would help... but

What other upgrade hardware do have?

10.0 was troublesome on my YoseG3/500 with dual RADEONs. Not that that is much help.

MarkS
11-13-2001, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I have Beige G3/266 with

XLR8 G4/500 ZIF
768 MB RAM

I took out the following PCI cards to install OSX:

Orange USB/FW card
ATI Nexus 128 card
ATTO UL3 SCSI card & Cheetah X15 drive

So, I tried to strip out everything I could in order to install OSX.

To be clear when I try to boot off of the OSX 10.1 CD I just get the broken folder icon (with the little Mac in it). Have tried rebooting while holding down 'C' key and selecting OSX CD from OS9.2.1 using XLR8 Startup Control Panel. Both ways I got the broken folder icon.

What seems strange is that I was able to boot off of the OSX 10.0.3 CD....

Any suggestions???

lasvegas
11-13-2001, 04:53 PM
When booting from the CD, hold Command-V to boot in Verbose mode. This might give you an idea as to what is holding up the boot process.

TZ
11-13-2001, 05:08 PM
Have you tried Ryan's "Unsupported Utility"? the latest XLR8 10.1 utility? Sonnet's? Just reading what they do while contemplating a 7300 upgrade to OS X.

Do you have video RAM and if so have you tried putting a monitor plug on that? There are so many things that can interfere... and I heard that 10.1.1 is showing signs of a lot of low-level changes (hindering some dual Zif upgrade cards no less).

The ATTO should be perfect and a non-issue, unlike Adaptec. I even bought a 2940U2B just for support insurance for SCSI.

How about upgrading 10.03 to 10.04 and then try? I think there is some info on 10.04 but I could be wrong, I wanted a full install and bought another copy of 10.1 rather than deal with the upgrade hassel.

I think there is a number of reports on "how to" on www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) and discussions (forums just for OS X on pre-beige G3 etc which might prove helpful). OWC has an OS X upgrade support page for Ryan's info and utility, extensions, faq, video.

Gregory

MarkS
11-13-2001, 09:29 PM
Hi LasVegas & Gregory,

Thanks for the replies!

>When booting from the CD, hold Command-V to boot in Verbose mode. This might give you >an idea as to what is holding up the boot process.

I do see a message when the display first brightens up:

'can't OPEN: scsi/@3:9RESETing SCSI bus'

Then screen turns blue and I see spinning colored circle and the Mac icon.
I hear CD whirring away...then a minute later I see broken folder icon.

>Have you tried Ryan's "Unsupported Utility"?

Haven't tried it on Beige G3, did use it on my 8500 before I traded it...

>the latest XLR8 10.1 utility?

I am using the XLR8 latest software including the XLR8 Startup Control Panel.

>Sonnet's? Just reading what they do while contemplating a 7300 upgrade to OS X.

No.

>Do you have video RAM and if so have you tried putting a monitor plug on that? There are
>so many things that can interfere... and I heard that 10.1.1 is showing signs of a lot of
>low-level changes (hindering some dual Zif upgrade cards no less).

I pulled out all my PCI cards including video card...connecting monitor to onboard video.

>The ATTO should be perfect and a non-issue, unlike Adaptec. I even bought a 2940U2B just >for support insurance for SCSI.

I pulled out ATTO/Cheetah for OSX install purposes...

>How about upgrading 10.03 to 10.04 and then try?

How would I get OSX 10.04 updater?

>I think there is a number of reports on "how to" on www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) and discussions >(forums just for OS X on pre-beige G3 etc which might prove helpful). OWC has an OS X
>upgrade support page for Ryan's info and utility, extensions, faq, video.

Have checked those sites...

Mark

lasvegas
11-14-2001, 01:04 AM
Mark: Try using a different CD drive if at all possible. Your symptoms indicate that your drive's azimuth may be out of adjustment making it impossible to boot some CDs. It's also possible that your CD is out of spec requiring it be replaced. Is it a burned copy?

BTW: The Beige G3 is a supported machine and unsupported by Unsupported UtilityX.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 14 November 2001).]

dragon_x
11-14-2001, 09:49 AM
The 10.1 UPDATE CD is 720MB - that is kind of pushing the 650MB standard to Timbuktoo? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

One scratch here, another there... an OLD CD reader and POOF! There goes your update. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

MarkS
11-14-2001, 10:59 AM
Hi Guys,

One more bit of info.... I tried starting up holding down Command-S. After a bunch of text written on the monitor, eventually I got stuck with the text 'waiting for root device' over and over again.

>Try using a different CD drive if at all possible. Your symptoms indicate that your drive's
>azimuth may be out of adjustment making it impossible to boot some CDs. It's also possible >that your CD is out of spec requiring it be replaced. Is it a burned copy?

>The 10.1 UPDATE CD is 720MB - that is kind of pushing the 650MB standard to Timbuktoo?

>One scratch here, another there... an OLD CD reader and POOF! There goes your update.

The only other CD drive I have is an external CDRW FireWire Drive, I tried using that drive but OSX doesn't see drive being there ....

The CD was bought from Apple it's a OSX 10.1 Upgrade CD.

I just went to Apple store and they gave me another OSX 10.1 CD to try....unfortunately can't boot off of it either... ;-(

Any other suggestions???

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 14 November 2001).]

MarkS
11-16-2001, 01:51 PM
Hi,

No other suggestions????

Appreciate any help!!

Thanks,

Mark

lasvegas
11-16-2001, 04:23 PM
The only other suggestions I can imagine would be 1) Try cleaning your drive. You can pick up a CD Cleaning kit at CircuitCity for about $20. Well worth it. 2) Try copying your Installer disk to CD/R media (Use 80 minute media). Sometimes they're easier for the CD drive to read.

dragon_x
11-16-2001, 08:16 PM
I would try to pickup a newer Apple OEM CD drive. You might be able to score one cheap - that was in say a Yosemite or Yikes system. I think CD readers were discontinued after that. As long as it has not been abused - it should read your disk fine.

I had issues installing 10.0 & 10.1 on my system. It took about 3 reboots - I also went out to buy food and other things... eventually it just came up. One oddity - the 10.1 booting made some really ODD noises. I forced a reboot again (via the reset switch on the tower) and it finally came up.

I would guess that support for ADB is not so good. Your firewire drive is connected to PCI firewire it is not native so X will not see it. I do not even think I can boot off Firewire with my Yosemite. I think you need a Sawtooth or newer for that http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

It is almost like we are in Linux Land - since its such a pain to get things working. So far though - X is worth the trouble. I just NEED UT for X & Photoshop! Then I can
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

MarkS
11-17-2001, 12:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions....

More I think about it, the more I think it has something to do with CD drive itself or how OSX detects whether or not a CD drive is there or not at startup.

Will try to get another CD drive on Monday and see what happens....will report back after that....

Mark

lasvegas
11-19-2001, 03:32 AM
One other thought on this Mark. If you have an available partition that can temporarily be sacrificed on a bootable drive, you could use Apple's Software Restore program to copy the CD to the partition and boot from it. To do this, locate the Software Restore application located at: System Folder:Application Support:Software Update:Apple Software Restore. Drag the CD to that application's icon and select the temporary boot partition as the target drive. You can then boot from this drive partition and run the update from it.

MarkS
11-19-2001, 12:18 PM
Hi LasVegas,

Thanks for the idea....

However, I get an error message from Software Restore after I click 'restore' button (after selecting restore option/hard drive that I want.

The error message is something like this:

'The Software Restore failed. The MacOSX Install CD may be unreadable.'

Oh well.....

Mark

lasvegas
11-19-2001, 05:51 PM
Did you try it from your burner as well?

MarkS
11-19-2001, 10:34 PM
Hi,

Good news!!!!

OSX 10.1 installed OK after changing SCSI CD drive to an IDE CD drive today.

If I'd only known....

Thanks for all your help!

Mark