PDA

View Full Version : 10.1 server, B&W, GUI freezing

chatwood2
10-17-2001, 05:56 PM
I have having some problems with a Blue and White running 10.1 server. Most most boots it goes happy mac, spinning color wheel, and then blue screen with mouse cursor. Nothing else happens. No login screen, no error messages. It does boot sometimes but will freeze to that blue screen with cursor occationally.

I have repaired the drive using the disk first aid on the installer boot CD, and it finds error and fixes them. Stuf like leaf errors, sixe mismatches, etc. It repairs them and the errors go away, but it doesn't help the booting.

I have also tried swapping out hte RAM in the machine, doesn't help. I zeroed all the data on the boot drive and restalled the OS, but the errors have come back. It seems to me (but I'm not sure) that the ratio of good boots to bad decrese with each boot. First after an OS install it boot most of the time, but after a day or two, there are tons of problems.

Any ideas?

- Chris

lasvegas
10-17-2001, 06:06 PM
Sounds like your video card is having a hard time switching to the accelerated driver of the Mac OS X GUI. What video card do you have? If a flashrom update is available for it, have you updated it?

The drive errors are evident of having to reboot when the System is freezing on you. This is a result of your problem. Not the cause.

chatwood2
10-18-2001, 12:26 AM
I found an ATI ROM updater (dated sept 2001) on the Gurus FTP site. It said it worked fine but there is no change in booting problems. Any other ideas?

BTW, the video card is a stock B&W card, a ATI Rage 128 something

Thanks,
Chris

ricks
10-18-2001, 01:34 AM
chatwood2
Just to let you know it works, I have a B&W that's running 10.1 flawlessly. I had some problems initially, lots of kernel panics. Turns out by undoing an overclock that worked with 9 I resolved that problem. OSX has yet to have a single failure since then.

I am really pleased with how well the B&W has performed with 10.1 Keep at it, it's worth it.

I did try the ATI Rage card you fixed for me LV, it works fine with 10.1 in the B&W as well.

Is there any difference in 10.1 server from 10.1 that could account for the problem?

Rick

lasvegas
10-18-2001, 02:32 AM
Is there any difference in 10.1 server from 10.1 that could account for the problem?

None that I know of. The GUI should be about the same.

chatwood2: Have you installed the Radeon 1.1.1 (ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/ftp/ati_stuff/Radeon%201.1.1%20Installer/) update as well? ATI recommends it for the Rage 128 as well. Be sure to read the included ReadMe file for instructions on installing the extension in OS X.

chatwood2
10-18-2001, 03:37 PM
I tried that ATI Radeon installer. It installed but no change.

Update - I reread the readme on the ATI ROM updater and saw the instruction for OS X. I copied the ROM Xtender over to the OS X extensions folder and rebooted. No change in booting porblems. I looked in the ATI Radeon installer for OS X instruction but found none.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by chatwood2 (edited 18 October 2001).]

TZ
10-18-2001, 04:22 PM
MacIntouch today talked about long stalls and freeze on bootup when the cable between router and modem was disconnected. With server you have a lot of other startup processes to contend with. I found that my firewall would take forever as it tried every possible port - something that didn't happen in same way with 10.0.

Gregory
B&W G3 w/ XLR8 G4, Crucial 768MB, 3 10ks on ATTO UL3S

chatwood2
10-24-2001, 01:53 PM
Well,

I put a new hard drive in the Blue and White, and reinstalled the OS onto it. So far I have had no problems, but only time will tell. So it looks the stock 6 GB drive was at fault.

Thanks for everyones help.

- Chris