PDA

View Full Version : SSSCA Petition

billbo
10-24-2001, 01:26 PM
I received this in my local LUG, and I'm posting what little that I know here->

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For those of you who have not been paying attention, the SSSCA is supposed to come before the Senate Commerece Committee tomorrow. It requires digital rights management (DRM) be placed in every digital device. (Kind of stupid for digital watches or GPS devices, but it requiers it.) It also requires that there be no way that the DRM junk be able to be removed. Hmm... that says no more Free Software or Open Source software operating systems. So, if you like your OSS or FSS OS, you might want to call your district's Senator________________________(***)

If you work using a Free Software or Open Source software operating system, you might want to mention that this bill could put you out of your job. If you are going to school as a CS or CoE major, you might want to mention that this bill makes some of your classes illegal. Everyone might want to mention that this bill totally screws over National Security because it would make it so that doing security work would be much much harder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(***)
There's also a online petition form that you can sign by going here -> http://www.petitiononline.com/SSSCA/petition.html

I know not to cross post, so I figured this particular forum would be the best bet. Everyone please realize that I'm not anti-government or anti-National Security, but since I'm starting to experiment with PPC Linux & Mac-On-Linux, this causes a great conundrum with-in the Open Source Community.

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"