PDA

View Full Version : LaunchCFMApp...anyone know what it is?

hubba bubba
10-06-2001, 11:55 PM
When I upgraded to OS 10.1 from 10.0.4 on a few of my systems (Beige G3, Lombard PB), they slowed to a crawl after rebooting. A look through the process viewer showed that the process LaunchCFMApp was taking 80-90 something percent of the CPU. I erased the partition and did a clean install of 10.1, this time with no problems. This process seems to take more cycles whenever I launch an app and when iTunes is using the visualizer, but it never goes over 50% now, which is an improvement. My guess is that it was trying to launch some screwy app/process that didn't want to play nice with 10.1. As I'm typing it sits at 21.4%, which still seems a bit high for an unknown process. I'm running OmniWeb, Mail.app, and iTunes. It's frustrating not knowing what everything is like in OS 7/8/9! Any ideas? TIA.

lasvegas
10-07-2001, 03:30 PM
Let me make a wild guess hereČÍ You had Explorer set on those machines as a Start Up Application. Right?

LaunchCFMApp is Explorer! When you upgraded to 10.1, the beta version of Explorer got replaced with the still ever so buggy Explorer 5.1. The alias (shortcut) of the original beta in Startup items would have therefore broke causing the huge delay before the system finally gave up on it.

hubba bubba
10-07-2001, 11:01 PM
No, it gets chucked out of the dock as soon as I use it to download OmniWeb on any machine I'm putting X on. Don't have anything set to startup when I turn the computer on. With a clean install of OS X LaunchCFMApp runs while I'm running my standard OS X apps: OmniWeb, Mail.app, iTunes. Seems to get more CPU time when I'm running iTunes' visualizer.

tim_s
10-13-2001, 07:54 PM
Some background: The native format for MacOS X executables is called Mach-O, and is descended from the NeXT days. The native format for MacOS 9 executables is CFM (Code Fragment Manager).

The MacOS X kernel doesn't understand CFM by itself. However, MacOS X needs to be able to run CFM binaries because some Carbon applications are distributed in CFM format. (Cocoa apps can only be Mach-O, but Carbon apps can be either.) The solution to this problem is LaunchCFMApp, a tiny Mach-O helper utility that starts a CFM program for the kernel. The trouble is, some process monitors (like Process Viewer) will report LaunchCFMApp as the name instead of the true name.

I just tried launching Explorer on 10.1, and it does show up as LaunchCFMApp in Process Viewer. However, running the top command in a Terminal window shows IE's real name. You might want to try that to find out what program is taking so much CPU time.

hubba bubba
10-21-2001, 11:01 AM
excellent...

thanks for the info!