PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.1 & 8500 Boot Issues

MarkS
10-18-2001, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Been making slow progress getting OSX 10.1 running on my ol' 8500/G3/400....

Finally managed to get OSX 10.1 installed onto my 'secondary' X15 hard drive/ATTO PCI ExpressUL3 card, have OS9.1 on my 'primary' (Mac internal bus) IBM 9GB hard drive. I used Ryan Rempel's Unsupported Utility X (UUX) to help do this.

Couldn't get OSX to install on my 'primary drive (maybe since it was formatted with Intech's Hard Drive Speed Tools??). Had to remove my ATI Nexus 128 card and Orange USB/FW card to install OSX.

This morning I put back my Nexus card and USB/FW card and booted up computer in 9.1 fine. Then decided to reboot into OSX using UUX.....

First monitor was black for a minute or two, then I heard the noise I usually hear when monitor changes resolution during startup but monitor was still black. A minute later display started to lighten up and saw the OSX blue background image. However, nothing else showed up, no cursor or anything else. Only thing I see is the blue background image!

Tried rebooting holding down option key to get back to OS9.1. Didn't work, started booting OSX again and same thing happened....Finally, tried rebooting and zapping PRAM. This got me back into OS9 and able to get online to post this message.

Only change from last nite when I got OSX 10.1 installed was I popped in my ATI Nexus 128 card and my OrangeMicro USB/FW card back in my 8500. I connected my monitor to the ATI Nexus card and put a VGA adaptor onto the onboard video connection as I've read on other forums one should do.

BTW, I did install the latest ATI driver and put the ATI ROM XTENDER in the OSX folder too.

Any ideas why things have gotten wacky with OSX??

According to Apple System Profiler:

MacOS 9.1

SCSI BUS 0 ID=3 CD-ROM Drive

ID=6 IBM 8.5GB hard drive

SCSI BUS 3 ID=0 Seagate Cheetah X15 18 GB

SLOT A1 SCSI-2 ATTO ExpressPCI PRO UL3 card

Also, have firewire/USB Card installed in one slot.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

lasvegas
10-18-2001, 11:32 PM
Have you tried with either one of the cards removed? Have you tried booting with monitors attached to both videos or just one monitor attached to one or the other? I have found some firewire cards to be incompatible with OS X, but it's always been my understanding that the Orange Micro card is compatible.

MarkS
10-19-2001, 10:31 AM
Hi LasVegas.

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it.

Well, I tried switching monitor connection back to 8500's onboard video and it booted fine into OSX. So it must be something about the ATI Nexus128 card. However, I did install the latest ATI driver in OS9 and put the ATI ROM XTender into the OSX folder as advised.

Then I switched from onboard to ATI card connection, hoping that would work, but screen went black...moved connection back to onboard and fine again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mark

lasvegas
10-19-2001, 11:57 PM
I've seen reports like yours on XLR8YourMac. As far as I know, ATI is still working on a fix. Have you tried connecting monitors to both ports?

MarkS
10-20-2001, 01:24 PM
Hi,

Yes, from XLR8YourMac (courtesy of Leela) I found out that you need to either have 2 monitors connected or a monitor and an VGA adaptor connected to the other port.

In order to get OSX to boot properly I needed to do the following:

1. Startup with monitor connected to my ATI card and adaptor on onboard video connection.

2. As OSX starts up and displays starts to lighten up and see blue background, unplug monitor and adaptor and switch their locations.

3. Go to System Prefs->Display and click on the tab named 'Arrange' and drag the rectangle with the menubar on top over the other rectangle.

4. Now switch monitor and adaptor locations again.

Now OSX should recognize ATI card/monitor when booting up...

Thanks!

Mark

lasvegas
10-20-2001, 03:40 PM
What a pain initially! And to deal with the presence of a phantom screen as well. Might I suggest that you go back to the Arrange window and adjust your phantom monitor to the lower right corner so that just the tips of the corners connect the two screens. This would reduce the risk of loosing your cursor on the other screen.

MarkS
10-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Viva LasVegas! ;-)

Thanks,

Mark

Kenners0107
10-20-2001, 09:01 PM
Y'know, I'm not sure I followed everything you tried, BUT- did you try booting into X with NOTHING on the onboard video port? In my system, if I boot that way, I will NOT see the happy mac icon on my PCI video card during initial bootup, but it will wake up when it gets to the OS X splash screen with the progress bar.. (granted, I don't have an 8500..)

When you first installed X, it uses the onboard video by default, so if you put the monitor on the nexus and adapter on onboard video, then you would get just the blue screen... Now that you're set with the nexus as your main screen, you might just try without the adapter on the onboard video port. I noticed one annoying thing when I had an adapter on the onboard video port-Sometimes X would put an alert on my nonexistent screen! At least that doesn't happen with no adapter there...

MarkS
10-20-2001, 09:40 PM
Hi Kenners,

Will give it a shot!

Thanks,

Mark