PDA

View Full Version : 2 Systems (OS9 & OSX) -> howto???

ssslavik
10-17-2001, 11:24 AM
I an running OS9 (9.2.1 on iMac DV+) now. I am about to get OSX(10.1). My question is how to setup 2 partitions (each for corresponded OS)? What should be done first? What system is going to initialize HD? Assume, I will be spend most of the time on OS9 part. Can I see OSX partition from there and 'vise versa'?
Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation.

P.S. Just any links will be wellcome...

lasvegas
10-17-2001, 02:26 PM
While Partitioning is an option, it really isn't necessary. It was highly recommended when OS X was in beta and pre-release form because an update might require reformating and a complete reinstall. OS X will now exist happily on the same partition along with OS 9, and this is the configuration Apple is now shipping all of their computers with.

TZ
10-17-2001, 04:50 PM
Read the reports on MacIntouch on partition map issues, corrupt or invalid partition map, data corruption. there is a small utility "partition fixer" to check for and fix if found.

One volume for classic and one for 9.2.1 full working set and OS X on 3rd might make sense. You may have different extensions you need and want two system folders and the ease of erase/reinstall.

I prefer to have three drives and OS X on its own, Classic on another and I just use an alias so my apps, documents etc are on 3rd. I feel that there is enough trouble and partitions are never "right" or perfect size and needs change.

OS X has to be on master IDE drive and perhaps SCSI ID 0-6 (couple reports that it wouldn't install if the ID was set to 8-15).

lasvegas
10-17-2001, 06:13 PM
DiskWarrior, Norton's and TechTools all do rudimentary partition map repair. In most cases, if the partition map is badly dammaged, there is no fix other than to reformat the drive. If a driver partition overlaps a data partition, the driver is lost. There's no getting it back! There is a utility called pdisk that will let you edit the partition map, but it won't repair damaged partitions.

I also keep OS 9 on it's own partition. This is because I have a legacy Mac (9500 clone) and don't trust the 9.2.1 patch to be foolproof. My Classic 9.2.1 is on my OS X partition though. I've had no problems with them coexisting.