PDA

View Full Version : 10.1 anyone?

bif
09-28-2001, 07:15 PM
i have purged my schedule so that i may be one of the first to pay homage to the mothership and purchase my upgrade at the new apple store nearby. from all i've heard of the new 10.1 upgrade i am lucky if i can sleep tonight in anticipation. who else is anxiously awaiting the latest and greatest.

TZ
09-29-2001, 08:16 AM
I felt like you and ordered from Apple. You can call and if you bought 10.0 from Apple Store you can get the upgrade w/o the paperwork (luckily).

That said, yes, 10.1 is much improved. But 9.2.1 was running great and Mozilla is a fine browser so while a year or even 8 months ago with 9.1 I couldn't wait in anticipation, I don't burn CDs or need some of the new features. Still, I know this is what will now be supported so I probably want to keep my email and web browsing in OS X.

I upgraded RAM, added G4/500... anything I could think of (waiting on better PCI video card). Even half a dozen SCSI drives, couple SCSI cards, and I should have just waited and skipped this for a G5 next year.

9.2.1 on G4/500 Yosemite

bif
09-29-2001, 01:10 PM
my son and i just returned from THE event, saturday morning at the mall standing in a very long line outside the apple store so we could get our hands on 10.1. I really felt a bit strange, kind of like when I did this sort of things for concert tickets, back in the days when i went to concerts. I had never even been inside an apple store up til today and it was nice, real nice. and they were giving away 10.1, free, just like Steve said. It was great. I even bought some software and a neat little fly lite for my powerbook. heck, the president said we need to stimulate the economy. when we left to go home the line outside was just slightly shorter than when we got there, it now being about an hour after they opened. it did my heart good to see the faithful in such abundance.

ricercar
09-29-2001, 09:18 PM
At Elite Computers, in Cupertino across the street from Apple's Infinite Loop Campus, they ran out of the free 10.1 upgrade by 1 PM Saturday. Apparently customers were harassing UPS and FedEx drivers from store opening until the free updates were delivered.

I missed all the fun so I had to buy 10.1 full version or do without. I'm installing on my Pismo 400 now and G3-400 PM9500 after. Hope it's as much improved as they say. I wasn't satisfied with 10.0.4 on either machine.

------------------
ricercar

my free 7500 grew up into a 9500, and it's still nickel-and-diming me to death!

ICCAFSN
09-29-2001, 10:08 PM
The Apple Store in Schaumburg, IL (Chicago suburb) had a guy at the door greeting people carrying a stack of 10.1 free updates. The only thing I had to do was ask the guy, "Is that the OS X 10.1 update?", and he gave me and my brother both a copy. And afterwards, we went around and played with all the gadgets in the store. The store had a pretty decent number of people inside considering its size - it's a good thing that the mall has tons of customers to help Apple draw in people.

Something's on my iMac go at the same speed (e.g. launching Classic and cold boot speeds), but everything does feel snappier in general. And it's nice to finally use the scroll wheel on my 3rd party mouse in the Finder.