PDA

View Full Version : OS X compatible SCSI cards?

themack
09-04-2001, 03:19 PM
hi guys--

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on Apple's site and I haven't seen anything here (perhaps I have not looked hard enough, I admit), but I need to buy a SCSI2 card (Ultra Wide?) for these internal drives i have. I have two Hammer SCSI cards and I can't find a thing on FWB's site, etc...

any help is appreciated! I am willing to buy a new card, but it doesn't need to be a super crazy card...

thanks!
mike

chrismenke
09-04-2001, 04:46 PM
OSX does not and will not have Apple support for the Hammer cards. With FWB folded into Rorke, and Apple long finshed with the JackHammer as an OEM card, the only support you're likely to see is a clever developer write an unsupported driver for fun.

That said, I've begun migrating away from my JackHammers for just this reason. I moved to an ATTO U3LD, which is just dandy under X, faster than the PCI slot it occupies, and on hell of a card. Not cheap though!

If you want an X compatible card which is softer on the wallet, you can look into Initio's offerings, which seem highly respected around here, although I've never used one. They have X drivers pending very shortly.

Also, the Adaptec product line offers X support, but I, and many others here, have had bad experiences with their cards/drivers/support.

Summation:
An expensive ATTO may be overkill, but it works (well), and is forward looking. Initio cards seem well respected, and will have full X support shortly. Adaptec is the 'you get what you pay for' route, IMHO.

themack
09-04-2001, 04:51 PM
right on, thanks for the response. It's too bad FWB was taken over by Rorke...long ago they were the bomb, IMHO.

It's rough because I thought i could get a card for cheap, but perhaps that's not always such a good idea.

I will check out the Initio cards--we use ATTO cards for all the RAIDs (or, perhaps more accurately, the Gurus send them to us with the RAIDs they build!) and have had great luck and concur with your opinion...but I am really just talking 2 internal drives...perhaps it might be cheaper to go with a firewire disk...

decisions, decisions...

-mike

Urinal Puck
09-04-2001, 07:14 PM
Isn't 10.1 going to include low level support for SCSI? Since adding a SCSI card is an option for the new desktops, you'd think they'd want the setup to work with the new OS. Then again....

UP

awatters
09-10-2001, 09:54 PM
WIth the initio firmware 3.20, the MilesU2W is bootable under OS X. Yes!
I've only tried booting X from a single drive, but I'm hoping that a mirrored array volume could boot X also...I'll post my results here.

magician
09-15-2001, 05:52 PM
the next version of X, due to be released by the end of this month, looks like it will support RAID 1 in the OS (RAID 0, as well). That means no SoftRAID will be necessary. Whether the various SCSI host cards will require driver updates remains to be seen. There is no doubt that this next revision of OSX, OS 10.1, will have much more robust support for SCSI.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TZ
09-16-2001, 08:56 AM
I've been told that Intech has plans to extend on RAID support in 10.1 in some manner. That if possible, RAID5 would be "a desirable feature" in future versions of SoftRAID. I doubt 3rd party drivers will go away, only get stronger.

With ATTO adding their assistance, I hope it isn't "1.0" release quality in need of yet more work/upgrading before it is acceptable. A year of beta OS X's I want to have robust support. It wasn't that long ago (May) that documentation, incomplete APIs, bugs in IOKit - in which case four months - enough to get SCSI and RAID done? Up into August Darwin lists were full of questions and doubts and beginning to learn how it seemed (then the list was no longer posted on public access web site).

Gregory