PDA

View Full Version : Preparing my PM8500 for OS X

ICCAFSN
08-27-2001, 04:24 AM
I'm looking into getting OS X up and running on my 8500, but I don't think my configuration is up to snuff (yet). I just upgraded my processor to a 400 MHz G3 which is good enough for what I do right now so my CPU speed's taken care of.

First problem - I have a Seagate Barracuda 9GB (Narrow) on my internal SCSI bus that's formatted using SoftRAID. But as far as I know, SoftRAID hasn't been updated for OS X yet. Furthermore, for some reason, Apple's Drive Setup refuses to install on my Barracuda so I can't use Apple's driver. So my question is, what hard drive formatting utilties out there (aside from Apple's) support OS X?

Second problem - I own a TurboMAX ATA/33 IDE->SCSI card which doesn't work under Mac OS X (I'll never EVER buy anything from ProMAX again - what kind of company 'supports' OS X by telling their former customers to spend more money on their newer ATA66 cards instead of trying to find some way of supporting their old ATA33 cards? Write a Mac OS X driver or something instead of deserting your customers.) So if I want to replace my ATA33 card with something that recognized by OS X, what should I go with? Should I get an ACard card or Sonnet's? I seem to recall that Sonnet was going to come out with some patch or something that would help their newest cards work with AV stuff or something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chrismenke
08-27-2001, 05:00 AM
SoftRAID's driver makes disks appear 'not supported' to drive setup.

On way around this (if your drive was once supported by drive setup), is to use ATTO Express Tools to initialize the drive, then initialize it again with drive setup.

As to IDE, no clue, still haven't made the switch...

magician
08-27-2001, 09:19 PM
hmmm....Sonnet IDE boards areACARDs....we're probably going to begin selling ACARD here pretty shortly, as well as Miglia (the ATA100 cards are fairly snappy, they are available now, and they also show ACARD ROMs).

i would advise using Drive Setup 2.03 or later for all OSX work. When OSX.1 is released in a few days, it very well might strike directly at SoftRAID's raison'd etre by including support for software RAID 0 and RAID 1 in the OS. No word from SoftRAID lately regarding time-frames. They have always said that they are at the mercy of Apple releasing or failing to release developer's kits for SCSI drivers.

there is an option key trick that can be used in SoftRAID, i believe, so you can take a drive over w Drive Setup (or was it vice-versa?).