PDA

View Full Version : Tanzania Power Supply

jmtulloss
07-07-2001, 07:21 PM
I need to plug an ATX power supply into a Tanzania mobo. I know it been done a million times before, but I need help. I don't have the original PSU, so I can't match the color coded wires. Can you guys tell me where each pin goes? I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

the_anarch
07-23-2001, 07:01 PM
Justin, sorry to keep you waiting. I guess I'm the de facto Tanzania guy, since I'm the only one who's taken his apart all the way to work with it on the same level you are.

If I remember correctly there are four sets of six-pin connectors on the Tanzania, plus an extra four-pin connector (much like the one that goes in the back of a CD-ROM drive for the audio signals) for the soft-power. Two of the six-pin connectors are nothing but ground, green and black wires. The +12V, +5V, -12V and 3.3V rails are all on the other two six-pin connectors, red and yellow wires I think.

To get down to an honest-to-god pin-out schematic of every pin, you'll have to give me time to get after it with a multimeter. And, I'm not sure I'll be able to correctly determine the purpose of every pin- some may be for 5V trickle, and some may be regular +5V. A little detective work will be in order. I'll get back to you in the next week or so.

batmantis00
07-24-2001, 02:55 AM
Does anyone know anything about the beige g3 Powersupply? What the color/voltages are? Also, of note, there is a couple jumpers behind the pci slots referring to the desktop and minitower ower supplies. Apparently they are different.

the_anarch
07-27-2001, 11:44 AM
Well Justin, I just went back and read the two previous threads you had posted regarding your 4400 mobo, as well as the thread that Trag referenced over at the XLR8YourMac forums. I didn't realize that all you need from me is just wire colors, not actual multimeter readings. I'll get right on it. Are you sure you understand which wires of your ATX supply are for the power-on and all that, since they're the ones that connect to the separate soft-power socket on the mobo?

In the meantime, I noticed that no one answered your question about the PCI riser card. I don't know much about riser cards, but I'm pretty certain that you don't have any real options available to you, short of finding one for sale on eBay. I don't know of any riser cards being manufactured anymore and I'm pretty sure they were never sold separately. And, I'm also pretty sure that the Tanzania's riser card slot is not a standard 12" PCI slot. Sorry dude.

the_anarch
07-28-2001, 08:22 PM
OK, I got out my multimeter and tested all 27 of the wires. Here we go:

http://www.triozon.net/fletch/tanzaniapspinout.jpg

Just so you know, these pin colors correspond to the wires as seen when they are plugged into the motherboard, not head-on when unplugged (hence the direction arrow to the PCI slots). That's a mistake I've made a few times.

I have an El-Cheapo multimeter, so it doesn't give me very accurate readings for negative voltages since the needle moves backwards where there's no scale. That's why I have the orange, yellow and blue wires with my actual measurements beside what I think the voltage is that they're supposed to be providing. (Maybe there's something wrong with my power supply if I'm only getting 10.5V out of a wire that should be giving me 12V). I don't know what's up with the orange and blue wires, I don't recall there being a need for 4.2V or -12V on a Mac.

Good luck, I hope this is what you needed. I wish I could speak with more accuracy as to exactly which ATX wires correspond to these pins, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to find out.

jmtulloss
07-31-2001, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all your help. Unfortuneatly, about an hour before I got you first reply saying you would help me out, I blew out the motherboard trying to figure it out myself. It's still helpful though, I'm going to get a replacement. I did find a riser card for sale. It was for a Starmax, so when I'm done I'm going to have a PowerMac 4400 with five PCI slots, a first! (Maybe) Thanks again!