PDA

View Full Version : Woo--Hoooo! 132 MB RAM in Q605

trag
06-30-2001, 03:00 AM
Inspired by the success (See Antique Macs: LC475 Memory Question) of installing a 64 MB 1 bank SIMM in the Quadra 605 (AKA Performa/LC 475/476) when I got my replacement for the second 64 MB SIMM (one was bad in first order) I grabbed a SIMMverter off the shelf and plugged it into the Q605 with both 64 MB SIMMs installed.

There's no way one could close the case in this configuration--in fact the heat sink I have on the 68040 is a close fit because of the tall SIMMverter--but I've got 132 MB of RAM recognized and working in the Q605.

Pretty cool!

tachyon
07-02-2001, 07:54 AM
that's awesome. I am astonished. But can you please post a screenshot of "About this Macintosh" and /or RAMometer or TechTool or Memory Mapper or TattleTech or something? I do believe you, honestly!

OWC Larry
07-02-2001, 01:58 PM
All I can say is WOW!

One word of caution... you need to find a way to keep the machine properly cooled with the top off. The normal flow of air from the fan will not occur if the unit is closed... so important to address that by some other cooling means.

trag
07-02-2001, 02:35 PM
I'll post a screen shot when I get around to it. It may take a week or two. I've already dismantled the machine and put it back under the book case. We don't use the Q605 for anything since I gave my housemate a G3 upgraded 8100 to replace it. However, it makes a very nice 72 pin SIMM tester, because it takes one SIMM at a time.

After testing the SIMMs in the Q605 I moved them both to the Power 120 as I mentioned in my other thread, where only 1/4 of their capacity was recognized. So 1 Bank 64 MB SIMMs good for Q605; bad for NuBus PowerMac.

So, Larry, no worry about overheating. That was just a test, not a day to day configuration.

This week I'm designing a printed circuit board. When that's done I'll pull the Q605 out again. I thought this PCB would take a couple of hours. I spent all my after work time last week on it and most of the weekend and I'm only about half done routing the traces. Sigh.

tachyon
07-02-2001, 07:06 PM
NuBus PowerMacs must be missing the RAM due to the fact they they must have SIMMs installed in pairs; I forget the exact terminology for that. But hey- now we can try other SIMM-based Macs like the LC 630 and Performa 5200! I ve got the Macs, but not the RAM... anybody?