PDA

View Full Version : g5 xserves backordered

jacob
04-12-2004, 02:17 PM
just ordered a g5 xserve from Apple, and have been told it wont ship for 5-7 weeks! ouch.

So i also ordered one from pcconnection, which may ship in 2 weeks. Whichever happens first, we shall see. I will let you know.

Also, I got it totally stock, and have ordered components separately. Which brings me to a couple of questions,
?Ģwhich is the best pci video card to use. dont need fast redraw, do want stable
?Ģshould the ram be installed in pairs? i thought not, but then crucial's site suggests so. could be its the default for P4 systems, and it was just left in as a statement.

unclemac
04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi Jacob,

Congratulations! We ordered two single processor models back in Feb, and one showed up, still waiting on the second one.....

All the G5s have to have memory installed in pairs, starting with the inner or middle pair and working your way out. It is made very clear in the manual that ships with the box, plus you can find it all over the web, includinng discussions right here (tower G5s mainly, but basically the same general requirements for the G5 Xserve).

We bought 2 x 512 MB from crucial for ours, and it was plug and play.

We ended up stealing a couple Radeon 7000s from some other Macs, which is the cheapest card I am aware ot that is shipping new. I would expect you could use any PCI card support by Panther.... Radeon, Rage 128, etc.

TZ
04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
The ATI Radeon 7000 is EOF and no longer available direct. What is expected is a Radeon 9200 PCI.

I'm not sure about PC/MacConnection people but my bet is that they are just being optimistic on their 2 weeks.

jacob
04-12-2004, 04:35 PM
then the 512MB installed ram on the stock box will be 2x 256s?

jacob
04-13-2004, 03:56 AM
the additional modules, 2 250s and a backup 80, which i ordered yesterday and which were scheduled for 7-10 days shipped last night and are in transit! So perhaps this 5-7 weeks thing is just apple covering their ass. the race is on-- go apple!

unclemac
04-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Yes, just to be clear everything has to be installed in pairs, so your 512 = 2 x 256.

Thanks for the update TZ. Knew it was coming, but did not know when. LoOking forward to more than 32MB for 120 bucks. http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

FWIW, we ordered ours from pcconnection too. Got much better pricing than through the Apple store, which really surprised me.

jacob
04-13-2004, 06:37 PM
off topic here:

speaking of pconnection, i think they are the only mac reseller to trust. in general, they have great customer service, and that is lacking with like 90% of internet computer merchants these days.
macwarehouse was ok, then they got bought by CDW, who is the Corbis of e-sellers. CDW is awful. Too big or something.

back on topic:

I got apple to lower the price by $241 (at the time i placed the order) since it will take so long. turns out that is about the tax, and with the free shipping it is cheaper in fact than pcconnection (but i wont get that rebate epson C84 if apple wins the race).

thanks for the words on the ram and the video.

jacob
04-22-2004, 04:02 AM
so to recap whats been lost in the forum changeover....

jacob
posted Tue April 20, 2004 PT 04:32 AM
the additional modules I ordered showed up. They are beautiful, really. The mechanism to open them is sweet.
Still waiting to see who will ship first; Apple or PcConnection.
Meanwhile, I will buy the server maintenance program (where they guarantee you a current version of the server software for 36 months).
Does anyone think I should bother with the Apple protection plan? The onsite service is tempting.

jacob
posted Tue April 20, 2004 PT 06:55 AM
PcConnection just changes their estimatde ship date to 6/5. It was due to ship 4/23.
That means they are waiting on the same delivery as I am from Apple. Looks like Apple has taken the lead...

TZ
posted Tue April 20, 2004 PT 08:14 AM
Apple Developer Documentation Xserve G5
XServe G5 Dev Notes

Greentree_uk
posted Tue April 20, 2004 PT 10:04 AM
I got a few Xserves on order since they were announced! and still no sign! I admit they are top of the line but come on apple!! Also to note I have a raid card for it on order and there is no ship date!! I have a 1.6 on order due next week but I sold it with a RAID. so pain in the arse

jacob
posted Tue April 20, 2004 PT 11:07 AM
so now I ordered another one from macmall (of all places) and they claim they have a few different shipments coming in this month.
Presumably, mine is to ship this next monday.
we shall see.
Also, what do people think of the premium service plan? worth it or not. for $900 I could get a lot of sierra nevada.

unclemac
04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
check this (http://thinksecret.com/news/xservesupport.html), then enjoy the SN!

The Gurus would get you through the same basic setup for a measley case. :D

jacob
04-23-2004, 03:22 AM
GUI only support? OMG. MF.
I would probably know more than the phone tech.

Well, the Premium support is out, certainly. I will, however, Maintenance Program, which for $1000 gives you upgrades to current server software versions for 3 years. That is a good deal, since they are likely to udate the sofware 2 more times in the next 3 years.

Thanks for the warning on the "support", unclemac

jacob
04-27-2004, 04:07 AM
And the winner of the Xserve race is... Apple!

they came through. The single cpu g5 xserve shipped yesterday, the 26th of April. They said it would take 5-7 weeks (even yesterday when i checked they said it wouldn't ship until mid-may at earliest). It took a little over 2 weeks actually. Not bad.

Plus, I got them to knock off the tax since it was taking so long.

Jacob

cisbell
04-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I ordered the single processor Xserve G5 at the end of Jan. and have been waiting ever since. I ordered from MacMall (could someone tell me why MacMall gets a ding when someone mentions it?) because of the extra RAM and free printer offered (can sell it on eBay) and have been waiting ever since.

Is Apple really this slow on these things or what? Have they just been trickeling into the market or is Apple still having machine or capacity issues?

I'm getting a little Teed off here!!! I've been a faithful Mac-head since '86, but thier customer service is starting to suck!

unclemac
04-30-2004, 12:38 PM
All I can say is that there has been alot of info in the last few weeks about IBM having problems with the new G5 CPU production - the chips that are going in the current Xserves.

They are ironing the wrinkles out, but obviously are months behind where Apple expected them to be. That plus very high demand for the new Xserves is really starting to hurt.

We ordered two way back about Feb 5th, got one, but still waiting on the second. Gettin kinda serious now.... :( :mad:

cisbell
04-30-2004, 01:01 PM
I know. I've been wanting to get a little more serious inhouse with some web projects and wanted to switch over to the Xserve platform. It's now to the point where Apple has been holding me back and suspending my business for the last two plus months. While it's easy to blame IBM, and technically, it's thier fault, Apple still needs to be held accountable for announcing on the 23rd of March that the Single units were now shipping. This trickle crap is worse than just holding back and releasing all at once. It's like Chinese water torture. You don't know who's lying!

I'm a little interested in the fact that the majority of people who are getting thier units are getting them from Apple and not third party dealers. In fact, it's pissing me off more than anything else.

unclemac
04-30-2004, 03:14 PM
I checked a few hours ago and the Apple store says that the SP Xserves are shipping in 3-5 days. What????

What about the rest of us that have already ordered?

I wonder if there is any blame that should be directed at the third party venders.... maybe they only order once a month or something? Probably not, but something is amiss somewhere.

cisbell
04-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Well, according to MacMall, I should be one of the first shipped. I got in early. They also say they have a considerable backlog. Whenever they look for their next possible shipping date, they say they expect shipments of 20 at a time. That's still not a huge amount, but it's also not a small amount.

I know one thing, if it's not here by mid May, I plan on switching (with all regrets) to an MS server platform and sending Apple my heart felt FUs. I've waited since the first launch of the XServe to finally include it into my network, and I'm exactly the target market Apple built the machine for, but if they can't find a way to meet demand, it's only a sign of a bad relationship to follow. I can't rely or trust that type of relationship.

I will also reconsider my multi-G5 purchases once the 3GHz makes it debut. Sad, but Steve has to learn to shut his mouth if he can't produce.

TZ
04-30-2004, 04:21 PM
AMD will have trouble getting 90nm out the door, but they are expecting dual-cores in 2005 also. Intel ain't perfect and took baby steps getting some of their recent upgrades out the door.

Knowing what IBM used in their server lineup using POWER4+, I expected Apple to offer G5's in 1.4 - 1.6 - 1.8. Server horsepower tends to be conservative, while RAM would be ECC Registered (and the XServe does support ECC even if it hasn't been required in the past).

Apple is taking heat for their pricing structure, shutting out 3rd party vendors, preferrential treatment of Apple Stores.

MacMall/PCMall? check MacIntouch for their name.

Engineering samples, prototype, test machines... even Crucial wasn't ready with DDR400 to meet Apple's requirements when the G5 shipped. New model = revision A = bleeding edge?

Even Pixar chose linux one year. So I think SJ has a 'vested interest' in getting XServe and the rest out there. Virginia Tech once again - good marketing and no harm there - gets first dibs, too, on a rackmount server farm.

I've gotten first model off production line - now I try to stay back and buy once the new model becomes "old" and the OS, hardware, firmware, any modifications and errata have been applied. (10.3.3 wasn't a very "perfect" OS update, and 10.3.4 isn't ready yet either.)

cisbell
04-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I agree, but damn, sometimes you just gotta bite down and do it. One thing that does concern me is you know 10.4 server will be just around the corner. I'll be lucky if I get a couple months out of Xserve before Apple stiffs us for an upgrade. And of course, Apple probably not offer a free upgrade, especially since it's such a huge delay on the hardware.

jacob
05-03-2004, 06:06 AM
my single cpu g5 xserve was delivered today.
ordered it from Apple store (and 3 resellers, but apple beat them to it) on April 12th I think. That's 3 weeks to my door. They originally said 5-7 weeks.
I ordered the ram, video card and additional modules separately-- this way my xserve was 'stock'. maybe it doesn't make a difference in shipping time, since they allegedly build to order.
whatev.
i am happy. but i have some work to do here setting this up...

jacob

TZ
05-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Congrats! on your new toy. Silver?

If that doesn't satisfy, there is always the new IBM POWER5 eServe due in 4 weeks ;-)

03 May 2004
New Power5 servers from IBM
Multi-processor servers show off IBM's virtualisation engine
By Manek Dubash, Techworld

IBM is launching two new servers, the eServer i5 520 for small to medium-sized enterprises and the eServer i5 570 aimed at larger implementations. They are the first products based around the company's new Power5 processor, according to product manager Ian Jarman. Typical applications include Web serving in all areas of the enterprise.

Originally designed as Unix servers, both new eServer models include what Jarman describes as extended virtualisation, the ability to run more than one OS at a time, including IBM's AIX, Windows and Linux, by plugging in a separate board. Jarman said this helps cut the cost of buying multiple servers. All processors will have access to storage and other system resources.

The Power5 processors run at either 1.5GHz or 1.65GHz - clock speeds will improve - and the 570 can be shipped either with one to two-way, or a two to four-way CPUs with a 16-way version to come later this year...

In the 570, maximum RAM for the 570 is 64GB and potential disk capacity stretches to 39TB. A basic system will cost $74,000 (41,700), with typical configurations moving north of $100,000. An entry-level eServer i5 520 will cost $11,500 (6,485), and both will ship to customers from 11 June. http://techworld.com

jacob
05-08-2004, 09:32 AM
the end of the story goes like this:

I set up the single cpu g5 xserve and I am very pleased with it, and my decision to get it. things are working flawlessly now. I have retired the dual g4 450 back to being a production computer.
i have the xserve running with a mirrored 250GB modules. Soon I will copy the system module with the spare 80GB module I got, once I get the system set the way to want/need it.

also, i asked an apple tech (yes, i called support, since its free now and not later) if I can insert a CPU if it were available, and he said yes. Perhaps sonnet with sell one, 'cause apple sure as shit wont.

anyway, things are great. apple came through and my rack has 3u more space now...

cisbell
05-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Turns out now, I got a call earlier in the week that my single CPU Xserve supposedly won't ship until May 30. What is Apple's problems with this?