PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Manager goes deaf

mmcleary
05-09-2003, 04:05 AM
Hi Guys,

During the recent school holidays we upgraded the G4 Server to MacOS Server 10.2.5. The initial migration went well, but after a week of normal use Macintosh Manager decided there was a database inconsistency and when it did its repair it deleted a whole bunch of accounts. The situation got worse with the remaining users unable to authenticate. It took the best part of a weekend, but we got it all happening again with all machines able to logon and the users preferences and data back in place.

On Monday, there was a brief moment of concern when users could not authenticate again, so the local IT Manager reset passwords and all seemed well.

Then on Tuesday afternoon Macintosh Manager stopped authenticating users again. After a server reboot all was well again ... but for how long?

I searched the archives of various mailing lists and found reports of Macintosh Manager suddenly going deaf and not allowing client machines to authenticate. The solution seemed to be a system restart, but others have indicated that stopping and starting Macintosh Manager gets things happening again.

The machine is not overloaded ... all it really does is provide Appleshare services and do the Macintosh Manager thing. The machine has plenty of disk space and has 512MB RAM;

Services like DNS, DHCP, SMB, Email, Web, etc are handled by other hosts on the LAN.

As a workaround I've added a script to /etc/periodic/daily/ to kill the Macintosh Manager process. It is then restarted by the Watchdog process. The theory is that Macintosh Manager goes deaf after running for some time and hence a daily restart avoids the problem.

I'd really like to know if this is a known problem and if there is a definative solution.

Cheers, Malcolm